Snap, crackle and pop
Mar 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Brimstone

100+ Head-Fier
I don't listen to music on my laptop very often because the quality is so bad.  To add to that, it started having snaps and crackles during playback of any audio source.  I assumed this was the sound card, but I have hooked up two different usb DACs and I still get the same issue.  This has really confused me because I thought the usb DAC was taking a pure digital signal and converting it.  The only thing I can think is that it is a power supply issue and is the result of small power spikes.  Does this sound reasonable or does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be? 

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Is the mic volume enabled?

Disable mic, and if still happens, update audio drivers (RealTek I guess?).

This seems to have worked. I just listened to a couple of songs with no problems. So it was a feedback issue?

Thanks for the help.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 8
I seem to have spoken too soon.  I must have just had a good run last night.  After disabling the mic I no longer get the pop and crackle, but I am still getting intermittent playback where the sound gets "choppy" during the sound cutting in and out ever so briefly.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 8
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
What operating system are you using and what playback software? It may be a latency issue of some kind with a driver;download this software:  
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

That program was great.  It told me that I had a driver issue, but couldn't tell me which driver.  I ended up going through and turning off devices, but couldn't get it worked out.  Then I downloaded a program called Driver max and it scanned my drivers.  I ended up letting that program replace 22 drivers and now everything is working great.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 8
I am glad you got it sorted out. That DriverMax program helped me with my audio problems in the past. It turned out to be a SATA controller driver that needed updating in my case.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 8
My laptop is less than a year old.  I hadn't even thought about updating drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back