Snake oil VS newb ears
Jun 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #61 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I prove in the internet? Make a teleconference and send over 20khz sound through streaming and see if I'll make a sign? Don't be ridiculous.

Or you know, you could do a blind test. Seriously, if you contact Guinness with that they'd probably pay more than what it cost to set up the test (which wouldn't be much). Your way is pretty funny though.

Quote:

What I'm telling is I can differentiate cables like many other hi-end freaks who are willing to pay for over $10k just for one equipment like transport player or over $3k for such mere interconnects. And all those are snake oil? I don't think ppl are way too stupid for that.

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you're saying isn't an argumentum ad populum per se, but it's pretty similar in its line of faulty reasoning. Just because there are a lot of people who buy high-end cables, and just because there's a glut of high-end cables on the market does NOT mean that those cables do, in fact, make a difference. In fact, that same fact can be used against you, insofar as if cables were a scam, then tons of manufacturers would enter the market to take advantage of the situation (I'm not implying that this is the case, I'm simply saying that there being a glut of cables on the market and a glue of buyers willing to buy said cables doesn't imply anything about their function).

Quote:

So I'm trying to make an easy way proof like 3d graphic from past to present. Don't you think most ppl back in 10years ago will look at Snake crawling on the desert from MGS4 as real rather than 3D cg?

Okay... I still don't 100% understand the analogy, but even so, how does this analogy actually prove anything?

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #62 of 127
Quote:

I had ones from 10-30khz but couldn't find such place to get original. I can hear all of them but it seems too insane so I checked with foobar, it went up to 23k for little while and down to 16khz instead of going to 30khz so I assume its about 24-25khz (I used sony pfr-v1 which can drive up to 25khz from computer) .

Could you provide a link to the samples that you are using?

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #63 of 127
It's just like a wine industry...

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #64 of 127
Quote:

well, the problem is ppl who can't hear sound at normal volume level up to 17khz or more can hardly notice the different in low level detail (like couldn't differentiate between $1k dac and $3k dac with similar signature)

that is truly a blessing, I assume.

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #67 of 127
He isn't going to provide direct answers to your direct questions. He isn't able to because he's making this stuff up as he goes along. I've found that trying to discuss things with a teenager who outright refuses to listen isn't a very productive way to spend time.

See ya
Steve

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #68 of 127
WindowsX,

As I pointed out before, if you did this test on your computer, your sound card is likely not actually outputting anything 20hz or higher accurately. I did one of these tests a while back and after a point [can remember the exact frequency] it actually got easier to hear the sounds being output. There was a thread here on head-fi about the tests and after some investigation it was found that most soundcards are unable to output extremely high frequencies and instead output a lower frequency when they encounter them.

Also, as others have been saying, most headphones and speakers can't produce frequencies that high anyways.

That said, even though I don't think you've proven you can hear 25kHz, it is not outside the realm of possibility that the human ear can hear these sounds.

The world beyond 20kHz

I found this article interesting as well, though it doesn't provide any evidence that humans can hear the sounds, it shows that the content is at least there in most instruments: There's life above 20 kilohertz! A survey of musical instrument spectra to 102.4 kHz

Fun Facts: Most people with good hearing can notice the high frequency sound from an older CRT television [15750Hz]. Some people can even hear sounds from a dog whistle, since it falls in the 16000Hz-22000Hz range.

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #69 of 127
I did tell that I used grace m902 dac for testing. Cmon, that product itself cost about $1600 and there's no way it can't produce the sound over 20khz since normally is about 44.1khz.

Well, I give up. you guys are too ignorant. Science proved some people can hear above 20khz but not for most people.

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #70 of 127
Quote:

I did tell that I used grace m902 dac for testing. Cmon, that product itself cost about $1600 and there's no way it can't produce the sound over 20khz since normally is about 44.1khz.

Well, I give up. you guys are too ignorant. Science proved some people can hear above 20khz but not for most people.

lol

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #71 of 127
Quote:

Lol, for someone that's so convinced of other people's ignorance, you shouldn't mess up sampling rates for sound wave frequencies.

The case gets worse when buying grand-dollar DACs, despite being so ignorant about sampling rates.

Go get them, genius.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #72 of 127
OK. Can you guys hear up to 19khz? I can.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #73 of 127
You sir, are a BS artist. You've done nothing to convince anyone of your super-human hearing abilities, have failed to indicate that you have "tested" this in any scientific way, and have comprehensively failed to explain how you achieved these fantastical results, all the while displaying complete ignorance of how sound, hearing, frequencies, sampling rates, audio equipment, sound reproduction, and scientific method actually works. I call BS on you...

I can't believe this crap has gone on for eight pages...

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #74 of 127
Quote:

Back to cables, the first time I switched from stock mini cables to cheap DIY cable, I could hardly tell the difference (Almost insignificant like bass is little better). Then when I switched to another cable like CablePro Panorama, I could hardly tell the difference again (Like little more details and little clearer sound). But when I get used to Panorama cable and went back to my first DIY cable, it's horrible like a lot of garbage in signal and sound all dirty everywhere.....

What makes no difference? Snake oil, or your ears?

A cable is a sort of filter altering all frequency ...
Somes give more treble, bass, front/back presentation.

You take the one fit better with your taste on the gear you will using it.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #75 of 127
Quote:

OK. Can you guys hear up to 19khz? I can.

I can hear up to 50,000 khz, and you can't say I'm wrong because this is the internet. Also, because this is the internet, I don't have to show any proof. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy some cables that somehow only make a difference to people who can hear extremely high frequencies, even though there's no explicit link between hearing high frequencies and being able to discern detail between different cables. But it's all good because anyone who will dispute my baseless assertions is just ignorant.

I wonder if my dog can pass a DBT for cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back