Snake oil VS newb ears
Jun 21, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #46 of 127
Very interesting. According to that site (i downloaded teh zip file with all of the tones) I can hear all of the range from 20-20k. that seems pretty unlikely, although I am only 16, have pretty good hearing, and don't go to any superloud concerts/listen to my music really loud. is everyone passing this test? what ranges can you guys hear?

edit: i can hear them all very clearly too, although 20hz and 20kz sound fainter than the rest. i will give this test to my dad and see how he does.

according to this I can JUST barely hear 21.1. i cant tell the 22 one is playing at all though
Ringtones & hot real tones @ ultrasonic ringtones

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #47 of 127
Well, I heard most ppl can hear up to 17khz (as average). I guess listening to loud noise, using only equipments that can last to 15khz for ages, swallow too much bass should be factors for getting less and less.

dosquito, try to get a site where it uses wav format. mp3 will treat over 20khz sound as silence.

P.S. Who's actually trolling, calling me batman while I'm giving theory about hearing higher frequency may differ listening test result?

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #48 of 127
I can taste purple and smell frequencies down to 8hz. I can also see the difference between sour and bitter.

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #49 of 127
I smell dead people!

See ya
Steve

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #50 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosquito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. According to that site (i downloaded teh zip file with all of the tones) I can hear all of the range from 20-20k. that seems pretty unlikely, although I am only 16, have pretty good hearing, and don't go to any superloud concerts/listen to my music really loud. is everyone passing this test? what ranges can you guys hear?

edit: i can hear them all very clearly too, although 20hz and 20kz sound fainter than the rest. i will give this test to my dad and see how he does.

according to this I can JUST barely hear 21.1. i cant tell the 22 one is playing at all though
Ringtones & hot real tones @ ultrasonic ringtones

Sorry but DLing test tones and playing them from your computer has to be about the most absurd way to gauge your hearing that I've ever heard.

If you want to test your hearing, get it tested by a professional. It's quite cheap (sometimes free!). Many of the places that sell customized ear plugs will test your hearing for free.

By the way, anyone who wants to be super safe should look into getting a pair of customized ear plugs. They have plugs now days that evenly reduce sound across all frequencies so that the sounds aren't distorted, simply reduced. Great for rock concerts or if you play in a band and don't want to use crappy ear plugs that just muffle the high-end and make everything sound like it's coming from the next room over.

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #51 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminus Est 23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but DLing test tones and playing them from your computer has to be about the most absurd way to gauge your hearing that I've ever heard.

If you want to test your hearing, get it tested by a professional. It's quite cheap (sometimes free!). Many of the places that sell customized ear plugs will test your hearing for free.

By the way, anyone who wants to be super safe should look into getting a pair of customized ear plugs. They have plugs now days that evenly reduce sound across all frequencies so that the sounds aren't distorted, simply reduced. Great for rock concerts or if you play in a band and don't want to use crappy ear plugs that just muffle the high-end and make everything sound like it's coming from the next room over.

Just curious - why is that ridiculous? It seems like it should work to me so long as my sound card + headphones are capable of playing those frequencies.

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #52 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosquito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious - why is that ridiculous? It seems like it should work to me so long as my sound card + headphones are capable of playing those frequencies.

Because you're trusting three sources that are not certified as accurate. The tones, the sound card and the speakers.

It'd be like trying to write your own prescription for eyeglasses based off some stuff you downloaded from the internet.

I mean, if you just want to do it for fun . . . have at it . . . but if you want to know the god's honest truth, see a professional.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #53 of 127
I smell ppl who can't accept hearing different hi-end cables and high frequency sound.....

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #54 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I smell ppl who can't accept hearing different hi-end cables and high frequency sound.....

Really, if you can hear 25khz, you need to contact the Guinness Book of World Records. There's money in it for you.

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #55 of 127
Quote:

Well, I heard most ppl can hear up to 17khz (as average). I guess listening to loud noise, using only equipments that can last to 15khz for ages, swallow too much bass should be factors for getting less and less.

Wait what? If you don't listen to frequencies higher than 15khz you LOSE your high frequency hearing ability? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. So somebody who listens to silence would lose his ability to hear at all?

Quote:

P.S. Who's actually trolling, calling me batman while I'm giving theory about hearing higher frequency may differ listening test result?

What do you expect? The usual reaction to a troll is to either ignore it or ridicule it.

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #56 of 127
... Now before we all go-bashing, I think we should recognize that there is no easy way to disprove Windows_X ... I think that it's possible to have an extended range in hearing simply based on some of the other uncanny mutations, or "gifts", that others have; like more than 10 fingers, better than 20/20 eyesight, and the-like ... Until he's able to prove himself, we should lay-off a bit, don't you think ? ... Besides, he's a celebrity !! ... He's the creator of the Vista Transformation Pack !! ... I really appreciate your work by-the-way ... Have you released anything since version 6 ? ...

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #58 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazingArrow74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Now before we all go-bashing, I think we should recognize that there is no easy way to disprove Windows_X ... I think that it's possible to have an extended range in hearing simply based on some of the other uncanny mutations, or "gifts", that others have; like more than 10 fingers, better than 20/20 eyesight, and the-like ... Until he's able to prove himself, we should lay-off a bit, don't you think ? ... Besides, he's a celebrity !! ... He's the creator of the Vista Transformation Pack !! ... I really appreciate your work by-the-way ... Have you released anything since version 6 ? ...

A bit off topic, but I like your signature.

If you ever read Thucydides, he said pretty much the same thing.

"For it is the general nature of men that they will use the full force of reason to reject that which they do not want, and avoid reason at all cost for that which they want." (poorly paraphrased)

some good food for thought
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #59 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazingArrow74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until he's able to prove himself, we should lay-off a bit, don't you think ?

His claim is highly unlikely, and he doesn't have sufficient evidence to prove otherwise, so it's pretty reasonable to reject his claim, or at least call it extremely unlikely. If some guy came up to me and said he could benchpress 2,000 pounds, I'd be pretty damn skeptical until he ponied up some sort of proof.

Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #60 of 127
How can I prove in the internet? Make a teleconference and send over 20khz sound through streaming and see if I'll make a sign? Don't be ridiculous.What I'm telling is I can differentiate cables like many other hi-end freaks who are willing to pay for over $10k just for one equipment like transport player or over $3k for such mere interconnects. And all those are snake oil? I don't think ppl are way too stupid for that. So I'm trying to make an easy way proof like 3d graphic from past to present. Don't you think most ppl back in 10years ago will look at Snake crawling on the desert from MGS4 as real rather than 3D cg?

About VTP, now it's 8.0.1 and 9.0 is currently in development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back