Snake oil VS newb ears
Jun 20, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #31 of 127
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet
gs1000.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #33 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Piezoelectric tweeters supposedly go that high. Not that it would make music sound any better...

See ya
Steve

Do they go that high accurately? As in you could play a 25khz sine and it would produce solely that?

I find such claims highly dubious but not improbable.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #34 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think your ears are snakeoil...what are you, some weird sort of alien/cricket/hummingbird/bat/porpoise/human hybrid? I'm telling you, there's no way you can hear 25khz...normal human ears just are not designed that way. You still have not stated how you verify this claim...have you been to an audiologist? If so, did he laugh at you when you claimed you could hear 25khz, or did he gaze in amazement, and bow down to your superior ultrahuman ears before rushing off to publish a paper in a medical journal? 23khz, maybe, but you're treading in waters of an extremely small percentage of the total population. Our perception of sound is due to small hairs in the ear responding to vibrations in the air (that's why we can't hear in a vacuum). 25khz is in the range of radio transmission. They don't "vibrate" the air. If you COULD hear that high, you'd freak out every time you passed an antenna...

Do you see into the ultraviolet as well?

"I hear gamma rays!"

Exactly. The guy could be in the guinness book of world records, literally, if he could back this claim.

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #35 of 127
Blah, post was in bad taste. Essentially was bashing WindowsX, but I already see that others have taken a more tasteful approach to treading on his ego.

Let me just cite one piece of WindowsX wisdom though. When asked if an aftermarket "audiophile" fuse will improve sound, he replies,

"Of course. stock fuse will degrade your good power cords up to 50%"

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #37 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
25khz is in the range of radio transmission. They don't "vibrate" the air. If you COULD hear that high, you'd freak out every time you passed an antenna...

Not quite, RF does not vibrate air because it it is a wave on the electromagnetic spectrum, RF goes as low as 3Hz. If he could hear that high, he'd be in the range of "ultrasound".

Ultrasound_range_diagram.png

675px-EM_Spectrum_Properties_edit.svg.png

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #39 of 127
Jun 21, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #40 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Test Tones (20-20khz)

Can you hear up to 20khz? No? lol

You need to learn a lot more about the human ear, playback devices and speakers.

I'm being very serious here. If you can hear 25khz, you can be in the guinness book of world records and I'm sure you could make some sort of money off of it.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #42 of 127
I had ones from 10-30khz but couldn't find such place to get original. I can hear all of them but it seems too insane so I checked with foobar, it went up to 23k for little while and down to 16khz instead of going to 30khz so I assume its about 24-25khz (I used sony pfr-v1 which can drive up to 25khz from computer) .

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #43 of 127
Can you please post a picture of your ears?

Thanks
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back