Smyth Virtual Surround - finally!
Dec 20, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 22
Thank you Erik for the link to that review - it answers most of the questions that I've had. It seems you dont really need a surround setup to do the calibration, but only a single speaker- much cheaper to buy than a full 6.1 system of high quality- great.

imagine having a smyth box with a hdmi 1.3 input and you could use the decoders in the new generation hd dvd / blue ray players and not need a surround amplifier at all - only a good stereo and a big screen. This can be a perfect solution for many people that dont have space and money for a normal home theater. I believe there is a real future for such a product - I only wish a company like sennheiser would come out with a svs system. They can even sell their own microphones for calibration and develope and optimize a headphone amplifier specifically for use with their own models - i dont know why they wouldnt do this - i am sure it would revolutionize headphone listening. In fact i might be slightly dissapointed that a company like sennheiser hasen't done anything - as a matter of fact I've written them on two occasions several years ago but got no reply.

I know yamaha is making a system but its better to have more companies involved.

Cheers

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact i might be slightly dissapointed that a company like sennheiser hasen't done anything

Does Beyerdynamic qualify as being "a company like Sennheiser"?
The Headzone is also targeted at the studio crowd though.

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems you dont really need a surround setup to do the calibration, but only a single speaker- much cheaper to buy than a full 6.1 system of high quality- great.

I hope the calibration process can be paused and resumed, so you can have enough time to move the speaker to each location.

You could also use a high-quality single-channel amplifier for the speaker.
cool.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 22
Instead of moving the speaker, I suppose you could just turn your head. For example, if the speaker is located directly in front of you, you could turn your head 90 degrees to the right when the left-surround channel is being swept.

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #21 of 22
I do not know if you have heard about the Phoenix 5.1 system. I just got the message that the company producing this system will present the Poenix at our German meet at March the 17th.

http://www.emt-studiotechnik.de/Phoenix%20E.htm

I am really looking forward to test this. I was very close buying the ancestor from Studer as a prototype. In comparision this would have been cheap. We are talkint 15.000 Euro for the Phoenix 5.1. I think this is a real one time chance to listen to such a pro equipment.

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #22 of 22
please check out this link:

AVS Forum - View Single Post - Finally! Firsthand demo of Smyth "SVS Realiser"

Finally some good news. Apparently the hefty price of 3000$ includes a stax headphone and amlification!! - not bad at all. Demos at the international headfi meet in ft. lauderdal in may and expected release this fall. It´s looking good - lets hope that hdmi connection makes it.

If you have not read about SVS, make sure you read the report/review in the link, and also this thread and others (do a search on the forum on: svs smyth).
Its probably one of the coolest things in headfi and worth saving for if you ask me.

enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back