Smyth Research Realiser Event - Monday May 7th at Glenn Poor's Audio - Champaign, IL - Starts 6 pm
Apr 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Audio Addict

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]I was recently over at Glenn Poor's Audio and had the opportunity to hear the Smyth Research Realiser.  They are a dealer for Smyth Research and will be hosting an event at their store on Monday, May 7th at 6 pm.  Here is a link to their website with contact information.  I hope to get over and get a chance to listen with custom settings rather than the generic ones I listen to.[/size]

http://www.glennpoors.com/

Below is some information I received on the event from them:

[size=small]The Smyth Research Realiser recreates, in headphones, the complete experience of listening to any real loudspeaker system in a real room - in up to eight channel surround sound. The emulation includes the precise localization of all the speakers in the room, the room acoustics, and the response of the speakers and the electronics in the emulated system. In immediate A/B comparison between the actual room/speakers and the Realiser/headphones, listeners say the two are indistinguishable. Head tracking keeps the sound image stationary as the listener's head turns. The Smyth Realiser is a revolutionary product that will change the way we listen to headphones.[/size]

[size=small]Additionally, I was told the following for those thinking of attending and would like the individual settings saved for their customization:[/size]

"Lorr said that the SD Card has to formatted to a FAT32 file system and cannot be larger than 2GB.  However he also added that if anyone wants a copy of their settings he can also e-mail them to that person."

[size=small]There will be beer wine and snacks.  We will have two rooms set up - one for multi-channel  - and one for stereo.  Lorr Kramer, from Smyth Research will be there to do the in-ear calibrations for each person that attends and to help with the demonstrations and questions.[/size]

Some additional information.  The event will run until 8:30 pm but for those of you who just can't wait, I have been told they should be able to accommodate those who come after 5 pm.  

The other item to mention is that if you would rather use your own headphone amplifier and headphones, you can do so.  The default package includes the Stax headphones and amplifier but you can buy just the Realiser.  I probably will bring my own amplifier and headphones to try.

I just found out some additional cool information for those that may also be interested outside of the Smyth Realiser A8.  Below is the additional information:

"At the event we will also be auditioning the incredible new D'Agostino Momentum Stereo Amplifier.  This is the latest creation from Dan D'Agostino (think Krell).  Machined from solid billets of aluminum and copper - it is beautiful audio jewelry.  Power is 200 Watts into 8 ohms and 400 Watts into 4 ohms.  Frequency response is 1 Hz to 200,000 Hz, -1dB and 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz +/- 0.1dB.  It is a full complementary balanced design with 1% metal film resistors and 69MHz output transistors."

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 14
Sounds fun, but that's finals week. May still try to swing by if I have the time. 
Either way, I definitely have to check that place out sometime, looks awesome

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 14
This event is a rare opportunity for anyone outside of the Los Angeles area to be able to try the amazing Smyth Research Realiser. 

The fact that Lorr Kramer is going to be there means you will get THE ideal experience with a proper calibration.  And you can keep the PRIR file as well, which will come in handy if you decide to buy one.

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 14
Last year I asked this gentleman from [size=small]Glenn Poor's Audio and he quote me $100 or $150 to take the measurements from their 3 high end systems.[/size]

Maybe send an email to Mr. Kramer and ask him. I am under the impression I would get custom profiles for their 2 systems which I would keep. Their goal I would think is to get me to enjoy the Realiser so much I had to have my own.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Last year I asked this gentleman from [size=small]Glenn Poor's Audio and he quote me $100 or $150 to take the measurements from their 3 high end systems.[/size]

I had email back from Glen Poor and here is their response:

"There is an SD card slot on the front of the Realiser for saving the information.  If someone would like to bring an SDcard to have their custom settings saved that can be done."

They did not mention any fee. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Will it be free of charge to get our own in-ear calibration at the demonstration? I might just fly over from Canada next month.

I just heard back from Glenn Poors and below is what they provided so it sounds like you could get the customization.

"Lorr and he said that the SD Card has to formatted to a FAT32 file system and cannot be larger than 2GB.  However he also added that if anyone wants a copy of their settings he can also e-mail them to that person."

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 14
Original post updated with additional information in italics but here is the key information:

"Lorr and he said that the SD Card has to formatted to a FAT32 file system and cannot be larger than 2GB.  However he also added that if anyone wants a copy of their settings he can also e-mail them to that person." 

"At the event we will also be auditioning the incredible new D'Agostino Momentum Stereo Amplifier.  This is the latest creation from Dan D'Agostino (think Krell).  Machined from solid billets of aluminum and copper - it is beautiful audio jewelry.  Power is 200 Watts into 8 ohms and 400 Watts into 4 ohms.  Frequency response is 1 Hz to 200,000 Hz, -1dB and 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz +/- 0.1dB.  It is a full complementary balanced design with 1% metal film resistors and 69MHz output transistors."

Also, I wanted to be sure to pass along to everyone that there are no fees to attend or have Lorr set customization, which should allow the user to really understand what the A8 is capable of.  

I am looking forward to the event.  I actually may try to get there early to have plenty of time to enjoy all these cool items.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 14
I just RSVP'd with Glenn Poor's.  I'm just five miles from their door, so it'll be great to finally check out the Realiser in action!  Now, do I bring my LCD-2 or T1...or stick with the Stax?  I've yet to hear any Stax sets, but a demo on familiar gear would probably be more indicative of the Smyth's abilities (if it can trick me into thinking the LCD-2 is a set of speakers, well, that would be very impressive).  Does the Realiser have to be re-calibrated for each headset, or are the settings universal?  

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I just RSVP'd with Glenn Poor's.  I'm just five miles from their door, so it'll be great to finally check out the Realiser in action!  Now, do I bring my LCD-2 or T1...or stick with the Stax?  I've yet to hear any Stax sets, but a demo on familiar gear would probably be more indicative of the Smyth's abilities (if it can trick me into thinking the LCD-2 is a set of speakers, well, that would be very impressive).  Does the Realiser have to be re-calibrated for each headset, or are the settings universal?  

Hope to see you there.  I am bringing my SR71B and HE500 as I don't see buying the Stax amplifier and headphones.  I have too much tied into dynamic headphones to start down the electrostatic path.

May 4, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 14
Hope to see some of the local Head-Fiers at the this coming Monday.  I plan to make it over to Glenn Poor's between 5 and 5:30 as I also enjoy listening to their two channel setups.  

May 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 14
It was a really learning experience.  I can't believe when you have the phones on how they sound just like the room.  As I sat there with my HE500s, the others in the room heard absolutely nothing but yet it seemed as if I was experience the set up live.  Also had a chance to talk with a couple of other head-fiers, which made the event in more fun as it is always great to talk with head-fiers.

Just a thanks to Glenn Poor for having Lorr Kramer in and getting a chance to hear what the Realiser A8 is capable of. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back