SMSL-SU8 & Which Amp?
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

haibrands

New Head-Fier
I received some helpful advice in another post but now my question is (To be used with my Sennheiser HD6XX):

- Does anyone have any ideas on what to pair a SMSL-SU8 with? I am thinking about doing a SMSL-SH8 with it but am unsure. I saw Amirm recommend a JDS Labs Atom for $99 but it seems I can get a used SMSL-SH8 for about the same price.
- What extra adapters or cables will I need for them?
- Is it recommended to use USB over Coaxial or Optical or one isn't better than the other?

Sep 1, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 17
Definitely the JDS Labs Atom, can't really go wrong with it at the price. Measures well, clean, transparent, powerful enough for most headphones. I also like Burson amps as well for something bang-for-buck that sounds good, I personally use the "Fun" amp. Connect via whichever cable is most convenient for you, no difference really between USB, Coaxial or Optical. Easiest would be USB into SU-8, then RCA from SU-8 into the amp.

Sep 1, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 17
Definitely the JDS Labs Atom, can't really go wrong with it at the price. Measures well, clean, transparent, powerful enough for most headphones. I also like Burson amps as well for something bang-for-buck that sounds good, I personally use the "Fun" amp. Connect via whichever cable is most convenient for you, no difference really between USB, Coaxial or Optical. Easiest would be USB into SU-8, then RCA from SU-8 into the amp.

I went ahead and got the two SMSL so I hope those two will be good. Any experience using the SMSL-SH8? Worst case scenario, I can swap it out with an Atom, but I think it'll get the job done.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 17
I went ahead and got the two SMSL so I hope those two will be good. Any experience using the SMSL-SH8? Worst case scenario, I can swap it out with an Atom, but I think it'll get the job done.
Nice, that will be one good bang-for-the-buck combo. No experience with the SH8 amp, but I do own the SU-8 V2 which I think is a great DAC for the money. I have heard very expensive gear (4-5k+ amps and DACs) and was shocked at how close these budget end combos sound in comparison. I think you'll be very satisfied.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 17
Nice, that will be one good bang-for-the-buck combo. No experience with the SH8 amp, but I do own the SU-8 V2 which I think is a great DAC for the money. I have heard very expensive gear (4-5k+ amps and DACs) and was shocked at how close these budget end combos sound in comparison. I think you'll be very satisfied.

I am 100% sure I'm going to be very happy with my buy. If there's anything you think I should know about using the SU-8 then let me know, but I'm ready to be wow'd given how much bang for my buck and how nice it's going to sound.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 17
I have the SU-8 and do very much like it, but it is certainly more detailed focused than musical as compared with the AKM 4490 DAC chips that I was used to. To my ears, the AKM chips in the FiiO Q5 were implemented in such a way that they sounded warmer by way of comparison with the SU-8. I say that in the sense that if you preferred a little warmth, as I tend to, that you may find the SU-8 with a bright headphone a little etched and fatiguing (or not) and if so, looking at an amp with a warmer signature might balance things out. There are several things at play, but I would think the combination you have should sound great. Do let us know. Cheers.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 17
I have the SU-8 and do very much like it, but it is certainly more detailed focused than musical as compared with the AKM 4490 DAC chips that I was used to. To my ears, the AKM chips in the FiiO Q5 were implemented in such a way that they sounded warmer by way of comparison with the SU-8. I say that in the sense that if you preferred a little warmth, as I tend to, that you may find the SU-8 with a bright headphone a little etched and fatiguing (or not) and if so, looking at an amp with a warmer signature might balance things out. There are several things at play, but I would think the combination you have should sound great. Do let us know. Cheers.

Oh that's interesting. Have you heard the HD6XX's before? I haven't heard them yet so I'm not actually sure what the sound signature will be like. Is it considered more of a warm tone? I heard people have called it boring and overly warm. And others have called it a little warm and accurate. I did go ahead and purchase a new cable for it, the version 2 UP-OCC copper which the seller said offers a bit of organic warmth to the headphones, too. Maybe that would help as well. I definitely was aiming for that accuracy/detail focus as opposed to warmth, but I 100% understand what you mean and would appreciate some to counteract that etchedness and fatigue you mentioned.

Thanks, I'll make sure to leave my impression of them here!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 17
I'd skip the Atom, I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the THX789 despite the supposed measurement similarity.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 17
I'd skip the Atom, I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the THX789 despite the supposed measurement similarity.

I've heard so many good things about the THX789 but wasn't looking forward to waiting a few months to get a Massdrop one. Do you have one paired with a SMSL SU-8? Curious as to how you view the two paired together

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 17
I own the SU-8 and 789. The combo is actually quite good. I've since switched to a Topping D70 which while i do enjoy better the SU-8 has more extension at both ends. Overall, for the money it's a fantastic combo either way. The 789 being the better piece of the combo though, that is for sure.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 17
I own the SU-8 and 789. The combo is actually quite good. I've since switched to a Topping D70 which while i do enjoy better the SU-8 has more extension at both ends. Overall, for the money it's a fantastic combo either way. The 789 being the better piece of the combo though, that is for sure.

That sure sounds nice. I'll definitely save up to get the THX 789 eventually, and hopefully the D70 as well!

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 17
However as a stopgap I'd recommend a cheap SH-8 over the Atom. I've owned both it and the DA-8 and had no issues with it. I preferred the SH+SU combo over the DX7s.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 17
I am 100% sure I'm going to be very happy with my buy. If there's anything you think I should know about using the SU-8 then let me know, but I'm ready to be wow'd given how much bang for my buck and how nice it's going to sound.
My only tip for the SU-8 would be: Never lose the remote.

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 17
You're unable to do much without the remote. Thankfully they are CHEAP. I ordered a couple extras as I've two SU-8's in home theater setups. The XLR+RCA out makes the unit very versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back