SMSL SU-9 vs D1se
Sep 5, 2021 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

WoollyGeezer

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone explain the differences between the two products? Perhaps it is the chassis? Or does one have different/higher-end circuitry?

The SU-9 is 450$ and the D1se is 300-400$ more.

su-9.png
d1se.png

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 9
I too would like to know.
I reached out to SMSL and they replied:

"VMV D1SE is updated version of SU-9. D1SE with l2S input. And Power supply and bluetooth program is different. Thanks. SMSL"

On a side note, I actually returned the SU-9 and replaced it with a d70s considering the SU-9 was bright and bassy which was very difficult to listen to with my ananda/arya. The d70s uses an AKM dac which I GREATLY preferred considering the d70s is more neutral across the spectrum. I could not stand the SU-9 with the Arya/Ananda considering they are already bright.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 9
I reached out to SMSL and they replied:

"VMV D1SE is updated version of SU-9. D1SE with l2S input. And Power supply and bluetooth program is different. Thanks. SMSL"

On a side note, I actually returned the SU-9 and replaced it with a d70s considering the SU-9 was bright and bassy which was very difficult to listen to with my ananda/arya. The d70s uses an AKM dac which I GREATLY preferred considering the d70s is more neutral across the spectrum. I could not stand the SU-9 with the Arya/Ananda considering they are already bright.
Im too looking at a Dac To tame my Ananda as I'm sensitive to treble And Ananda goes too high for me. Looking at the SU-9, DO200, D1SE, or the D300 or the LOXJIE D50. Please help i have the SMSL SP200.

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Im too looking at a Dac To tame my Ananda as I'm sensitive to treble And Ananda goes too high for me. Looking at the SU-9, DO200, D1SE, or the D300 or the LOXJIE D50. Please help i have the SMSL SP200.
The d1se is not bright at all on my headphones fwiw, I actually want more treble than what it offers. If I were you I'd look into replacing the sp200 first though. That amp is not doing you any favours and probably causing some of the issues.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 9
The SU9N is the high performance version. It has a switching power supply and does not have a femto clock. The D1SE has a linear power supply and dual femto clocks. The SU9N measures better than the D1SE across the board. The SU9N measures better in the power supply and jitter as well. The M500 MKII is the same as the SU9N but measures slightly even better and has a outstanding headphone amp. It is still no match for a $1,000 headamp though. What I would like to know is how is the topping D90SE better than the SMSL SU9N or M500 MKII, at $900 when the SMSL offerings are $440 respectively. The Topping is slightly better at THD+N but the SMSL's are much better at overall noise. In fact, those two SMSL have the lowest overall noise of any DAC's made to date. The SU9N and M500 MKII have custom clocks, not said to be femto. However they have lower jitter than the accusilicon femto parts. The switchmode power supply has lower noise than a linear power supply due to usage of the ESS power IC. To get better than these, I feel that you need to step up to the Gustard X26 Pro for $1,500. The SU9N and MK500 MKII are better DAC's than the D1SE to answer that question straightforward. Of course it ultimately boils down to what you like the sound of best of course. Also, as everyone knows the amp will have much more influence on the sound than the DAC. I personally would save money and get the outstanding SU9N or M500 MKII and spend the rest on a great amp that I like. Otherwise, get the X26 Pro. That is a huge step above any of these. Still, I wonder who would spend $900 on the D90SE. I feel that is a huge waste.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 9
The SU9N is the high performance version. It has a switching power supply and does not have a femto clock. The D1SE has a linear power supply and dual femto clocks. The SU9N measures better than the D1SE across the board. The SU9N measures better in the power supply and jitter as well. The M500 MKII is the same as the SU9N but measures slightly even better and has a outstanding headphone amp. It is still no match for a $1,000 headamp though. What I would like to know is how is the topping D90SE better than the SMSL SU9N or M500 MKII, at $900 when the SMSL offerings are $440 respectively. The Topping is slightly better at THD+N but the SMSL's are much better at overall noise. In fact, those two SMSL have the lowest overall noise of any DAC's made to date. The SU9N and M500 MKII have custom clocks, not said to be femto. However they have lower jitter than the accusilicon femto parts. The switchmode power supply has lower noise than a linear power supply due to usage of the ESS power IC. To get better than these, I feel that you need to step up to the Gustard X26 Pro for $1,500. The SU9N and MK500 MKII are better DAC's than the D1SE to answer that question straightforward. Of course it ultimately boils down to what you like the sound of best of course. Also, as everyone knows the amp will have much more influence on the sound than the DAC. I personally would save money and get the outstanding SU9N or M500 MKII and spend the rest on a great amp that I like. Otherwise, get the X26 Pro. That is a huge step above any of these. Still, I wonder who would spend $900 on the D90SE. I feel that is a huge waste.
I got my D1SE for about $612 usd

Mar 12, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 9
The SU9N measures better for $440. The D1SE has better spec components, not implemented as well. It would matter which you liked the sound of better. I honestly doubt you or I could tell much difference between either with our ears. $612 was a good price. I would take a D1SE for that price. Like I said the big jump would be the X26 Pro. You cannot include the name brand Chinese ones. They are grossly overpriced. Like a $500 SMSL is equal to a $1,500 Burson for instance. I also mentioned spend more on an amplifier. I certainly would do that. The DAC is not a huge deal and all of these are very good. If you want elite, the X26 Pro is a super bargain for $1,500 too. These companies have many boxes that are pretty much the same. AKM chips are hard to come by now. The 4499 was better than the 9038 but the 9068 is not as good. I am just speaking trivia here. I think if anyone buys a new one, the SU9N is the best value. Unless you need a headphone amplifier, then get the M500 MK II. I do prefer the better spec D1SE but I doubt I could hear any difference.

I want a very high end all in one box and it does not seem to exist. It seems everyone ultimately uses two boxes. It also seems that the D70SE was a step back from the D90. That is because of the AKM situation obviously. They fooled no one though. These are all very good DAC's. I could not choose one over another but many people can. It boils down to taste, not quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back