SMSL SU-8s vs. Schiit Modius
Jun 23, 2022 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dstarr3

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Schiit Modius. No complaints, although it's the only proper DAC I've ever heard, so I don't know what there is to be gained or lost by using different DACs.

I see Drop has the SMSL SU-8s on sale for $180, which is mighty tempting. So I'm wondering if the upgrade is worth it.

In terms of features over the Modius, the volume knob on the SU-8s would be handy for IEM listening. I wouldn't use MQA, probably wouldn't use Bluetooth.

In terms of audio quality, I don't know if there would be any discernible difference between the two.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 3
No need to "upgrade" the DAC. Most decent DAC's these days that measure well sound so similar that you would be hard pressed to hear any difference. Most of the differences in sound come from the reconstruction filter.

I would save your money and keep the Modius. I use mine at work all the time and have an Topping D90 and RME ADI-2 FS at home. I really enjoy the Modius and don't hear any problems with it.

What amp are you currently using with your IEM's?

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 3
For that price ($180) that's a steal and if you have the money to spare, I'd say get it. I'm not saying SU-8s is better than Modius but you would be able to compare the two yourselves and make your judgment. If you don't like it, you can always sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back