SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #589 of 1,174
what differences between balanced and unbalanced

Practically none (as far as measurements are concerned, RCA apparently is marginally better), XLR is just for convenience, there is no real balanced.

May 11, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #594 of 1,174
May 11, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #596 of 1,174
I've seen it, but delivery is slow , june 10-30. I will lose the return window on the amp by then.
It is very difficult to get access to great but cheaper headphone amp and DACs in a timely manner in the UK. I feel your pain!

I would suggest the SMSL M300 MKII at this stage if you want something you can buy quick on Amazon UK. From what I've seen it looks good - it uses the AK4497 like the M200 suggested above does but obviously a different design profile.

I bought the SP200 to originally pair with the LCD-2C. It was my intention to buy those headphones but I managed to get a pair of Verum Ones instead so it gets paired with that instead. I honestly feel it is a great AMP but I don't have much of a reference point before it.

Then it was my intention to pair it with the LCD-X which I was going to purchase. Instead I got the Focal Utopia on order so will initially try with that I suppose but I guess I am now looking out for something that will pair naturally with it.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #598 of 1,174
I owned the Heresy right before the SP200 arrived at my doorstep. I returned the Schiit Heresy, nice amp and a hell of a value as well but. The SP200 was so definitively more clear, more resolving and it was immediately apparent it was special. After 2 straight weeks of breaking in, its removed that little harsh edge it had that I noticed at first. I am extremely happy, its going to take a something really special for me to upgrade at any price.
thank you for the input. I was waiting forever for Heresy to be available for sale by Schiit UK. Hersey is not that cheap after all and the more reviews I read the closer I get to push the button for a sp200 instead. The total cost for me in Sweden: Hersey = $170, SP200 = $295 and 789 = $390. I hope my Sundara and AH-D7200 like this little cricked THX thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back