SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Jan 29, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #406 of 1,174
will ESS dac chip will make SP200 more sterile, can any one confirm please?
I understand that DAC chip implementation will matter most.
Generally that would be the case, although I have heard exceptions

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #407 of 1,174
I've used the Schiit Modi, Bifrost, Aune X1S, Topping D70, and Geshelli Enog 2 Pro. Admittedly I've only used the Bifrost, Enog, and D70 with the SP200. I haven't found any benefit to running any DAC balanced to any amp versus single ended, and I use the D70 primarily for tube amps/Enog for powered speakers. The D50s stays with the SP200.

Good to know, thanks! I have the Modi but I use my SP200 primarily with Topping D70 and DX3 Pro. I can't distinguish the line-out output of DX3 Pro from D70, so it deserves consideration for its price. It has a very convenient mode that you can control the volume of the DAC output which SP200 needs sometimes.

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #408 of 1,174
I've used the Schiit Modi, Bifrost, Aune X1S, Topping D70, and Geshelli Enog 2 Pro. Admittedly I've only used the Bifrost, Enog, and D70 with the SP200. I haven't found any benefit to running any DAC balanced to any amp versus single ended, and I use the D70 primarily for tube amps/Enog for powered speakers. The D50s stays with the SP200.

I like the balanced for two reasons:
1) Why buy a balanced amp, if you're not going to use balanced inputs (I know that it is not "purely balanced").
2) I like having connection options. I run a split cable from the SE and balanced ports so that I can feed four amps. I love variety and don't want to always be switching cables.

Shane D

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #409 of 1,174
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #410 of 1,174
will ESS dac chip will make SP200 more sterile, can any one confirm please?
I understand that DAC chip implementation will matter most.

I think this is fairly subjective. If there's a difference, I'm too uneducated to hear it assuming the DACs are well implemented. There are some chips that seem to have a flavor, but it's usually due to implementation, not the chip itself.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #411 of 1,174
Oh I don't think you shouldn't use it if you have it. I personally wouldn't buy a DAC based only on its connection options since it doesn't matter, and I've already got one of these. Works either as a 4x2 or 2x4 and is just sexy on the desk. Build and component quality is outstanding.

https://www.amazon.com/TC-7240-Router-Switcher-Selector-Splitter/dp/B00KDQXITG?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_13

If you're going to buy a balanced amp, it only makes sense to buy a balanced DAC. I really like the SU-8 and the options it has. I was very pleased with paying $212.00, with free shipping.
At $170.00 on Drop, it is a screaming deal.

If you are not going to use balanced, you are wasting your money on the SP200. You can get the same performance from the JDS Labs Atom at $99.00.

The SP200 would only make sense if you have Really hard to drive headphones. And even then you can probably get a cheaper SE amp.

Shane D

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #412 of 1,174
If you're going to buy a balanced amp, it only makes sense to buy a balanced DAC. I really like the SU-8 and the options it has. I was very pleased with paying $212.00, with free shipping.
At $170.00 on Drop, it is a screaming deal.

If you are not going to use balanced, you are wasting your money on the SP200. You can get the same performance from the JDS Labs Atom at $99.00.

The SP200 would only make sense if you have Really hard to drive headphones. And even then you can probably get a cheaper SE amp.

Shane D
Not necessary, the sp200 doesn't have a fully balanced topology and there has been documentation that balanced inputs vs un-balanced inputs being almost a draw with RCA winning out in the end unless the rig is in a horribly noisy environment with long cable runs. As for balanced output, it's just there for convenience so it definitely is not a must for a full balanced rig out of the sp200. Bottom line being, just go with whatever floats your boat.

Personally I'm going with the JDS labs EL DAC mark 2 as I love the aesthetics and honestly will be hard pressed to hear differences btw dacs past the $500 range due to streaming spotify being the only source of my music. The sp200 is amazing out of a chord qutest playing lossless files though.
Edited for spelling

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #413 of 1,174
Not necessary, the sp200 doesn't have a fully balanced topology and there has been documentation that balanced inputs vs un-balanced inputs being almost a draw with RCA winning out in the end unless the rig is in a horribly noisy environment with long cable runs. As for balanced output, it's just there for convenience so it definitely is not a must for a full balanced rig out of the sp200. Bottom line being, just go with whatever floats your boat.

Personally I'm going with the JDS labs EL DAC mark 2 as I love the aesthetics and honestly will be hard pressed to hear differences btw dacs past the $500 range due to streaming spotify being the only source of my music. The sp200 is amazing out of a chord qutest playing lossless files though.
Edited for spelling

As I mentioned earlier, it is not truly balanced. And the JDS Labs Atom measures just as well as this amp. I do enjoy the convenience of balanced connections for variety and most balanced amps put out more power with the balanced option.
I have a couple of balanced amps and a couple of SE amps so the connections make my life easier.

Shane D

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #414 of 1,174
Just let people get what they want to get. It's good the SU-8 works for you, but there are better measuring DACs out there and plenty of well-performing options that some may like for different reasons. SMSL is going to put to put out a new version of the SU-8 with new chip anyways.

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #415 of 1,174
Just let people get what they want to get. It's good the SU-8 works for you, but there are better measuring DACs out there and plenty of well-performing options that some may like for different reasons. SMSL is going to put to put out a new version of the SU-8 with new chip anyways.

It has already been "replaced" by the SU-8S. I am not TELLING anybody to buy anything. It is a nice DAC with lots of features at a pretty good price.

Shane D

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #416 of 1,174
The sp200 is great even next to my bryston bha1. The 888 is awesome. 15805115574752412081463720388029.jpg

Feb 6, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #417 of 1,174
do you guys know if the 888 is worth the investment as a pairing for an RME ADI-2 DAC or is it not worth it?
does it have more power output with enough power room when compared to the RME ?

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #418 of 1,174
I cannot quite believe how good this amp is. I'm using it along with D70 DAC in my office running a pair of Abyss TC's and it's incredible. I'm running it in low gain mode and on some quieter recordings, the volume pot sits at 2. The D70 is at max volume i.e. 0db (haven't quite figured out how to get it to remain in preamp mode having selected it in the menu).

Does anyone know what level the SMSL200 starts to clip?

headfi.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #419 of 1,174
I use my SP200 with D70 most of the time. Sometimes, the SP200 low gain is still too powerful for me, so I keep the D70 volume adjustable.

As per the D70 manual, you need to hold the SEL button pressed while plugging the power cable in. Then the DAC goes in a settings mode where you can switch the line-out (Lo) mode to non-adjustable.

This is a great combo but frankly I can't distinguish the D70 sound quality output from my Topping DX3 Pro which is a good thing.

Feb 7, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #420 of 1,174
I use my SP200 with D70 most of the time. Sometimes, the SP200 low gain is still too powerful for me, so I keep the D70 volume adjustable.

As per the D70 manual, you need to hold the SEL button pressed while plugging the power cable in. Then the DAC goes in a settings mode where you can switch the line-out (Lo) mode to non-adjustable.

This is a great combo but frankly I can't distinguish the D70 sound quality output from my Topping DX3 Pro which is a good thing.
Do you really find no differences in sound quality? I thought to acquire the D90 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back