SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #316 of 1,174
Is sp200 suitable for iem?
Saw somewhere people say it pickup hiss/floor noise.

I do use mine with IEM some times, but using my IFI Ear Buddy attenuator because even in low gain I won’t be able to pass 8 o’clock on the volumen. With the attenuator I can move to 11 o’clock .
No hiss/floor noise even without the iFi buddy.

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #318 of 1,174
Good coz i quite interested coz on aliexpress one of the comment has it.
That would be me lol. I think only the most sensitive of iems like maybe the andromeda won't work due to channel imbalance. If your line out is 2v and below there shouldn't be an issue

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #319 of 1,174
After reading all the posts, I can see this small amp is really awesome.
I just need a little more help please. I'm trying to improve my equipment, specially the amps.
Now I use a Burson HA160 almost for everthing and a portable Mojo.
Will the SP200 be a really improve with my actual headphones?
My HP are : Hifiman HE560, Sennheiser hd650, Fidelio X2 and for the last 2020 I'd like to purchase the HD800s?

I am also considering Schiiit Asgard 3 ( same price ) and the Topping DX7 pro , I know it's not the same price range, but includes the real good DAC.
Thank you

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #320 of 1,174
After reading all the posts, I can see this small amp is really awesome.
I just need a little more help please. I'm trying to improve my equipment, specially the amps.
Now I use a Burson HA160 almost for everthing and a portable Mojo.
Will the SP200 be a really improve with my actual headphones?
My HP are : Hifiman HE560, Sennheiser hd650, Fidelio X2 and for the last 2020 I'd like to purchase the HD800s?

I am also considering Schiiit Asgard 3 ( same price ) and the Topping DX7 pro , I know it's not the same price range, but includes the real good DAC.
Thank you
DX7 Pro has high output impedance. You may want to look at the less expensive Schiit Heresy.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #321 of 1,174
It is awesome and not because of the affordable price. It's transparent and won't change the sound signature of any headphones. I don't hear any harshness nor lack of details from it. I also find it having a "honest" FR.

All that said, only you can tell if it pairs well with your particular headphones. If you're used to the sound of your HA160 or Mojo with a pair of headphones, you may not like them with the SP200 that much. Unfortunately, you need to compare them yourself to decide.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #322 of 1,174
I've read reviews that Schiit Heresy and JDS Atom sound indistinguishable. I have the Atom. When I volume match it to SP200, I can't tell them apart. So, I consider it will be the same with Heresy. Heresy and SP200 will have more than enough power for all your headphones. I haven't heard the Heresy, but the balanced output and more convenient ergonomics of the SP200 should be beneficial.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #323 of 1,174
This amp has been a learning experience for me. Honestly, I did not care for it much when I first got it. It has more power than I will ever use and it is very accurate. I am not usually a fan of flat and neutral, but this amp has been winning me over.

A few days ago I got a set of new (demo's) headphones, the Fostex TH-610. I figured I would try the Fostex on this amp because it would reveal their true sound. I am Very impressed with these headphones. Never have I heard drumming so prominent. Really out front on rock, but even with jazz, Florence and the Machine and Steely Dan. Definitely a new sound for me and very enjoyable.

The reason I am writing this is that I was looking forward to trying these out on my Liquid Spark. I did, for about one minute. With the Spark, the fullness was missing as was the bass. I figured maybe it was just a power difference since I hadn't volume matched the amps and so I cranked up the volume. It got much louder, but could not compete on sound quality. I get there is a large difference in price, but I have been super impressed with the LS against all my other amps, including this one. Until now. Weird.

Also, I recently bought a used pair of HD58X's and have been very impressed with their value (Yes, I have been bargain hunting the last few months). After several days of playing them in various amps, I put my 610's on and it was a night and day difference. I have never gone from an open back to a closed back and been blown away. The clarity, the bass, the full sound was Amazing! The next day I came back down to earth and realized the 610's are Not the clearest headphones ever made.:yum:

The last few days really have been eye opening though. And yes, I Really do like my SP200 right now.

Shane D

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #324 of 1,174
I've read reviews that Schiit Heresy and JDS Atom sound indistinguishable. I have the Atom. When I volume match it to SP200, I can't tell them apart. So, I consider it will be the same with Heresy. Heresy and SP200 will have more than enough power for all your headphones. I haven't heard the Heresy, but the balanced output and more convenient ergonomics of the SP200 should be beneficial.

I didn't know anything about Heresy until you both told here. It's seems to be a good option according to its price. Half price SP200. Maybe better than asgard ...

Jan 12, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #325 of 1,174
Jan 13, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #329 of 1,174
can anyone compare the SP200 vs Rupert Neve Designs RNHP in sound quality?
Also very interested to hear this. I bought the SP200 thinking it would be a forensically detailed but neutral amp. To my ears, it was the exact opposite - almost veiled and definitely not needed if one already owns an RME ADI dac. I returned, concluding that it was over hyped and overrated.

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #330 of 1,174
I've done so in my review

rhnp has some weight/body

sp200 does not
With all due respect, that doesn't mean much - what do the words "body" and "weight" mean here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back