SMSL M500 MQA DAC
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #121 of 144
If you are getting a balanced headphone amp, why don't you go full balanced? That's where the big improvement should be! Get balanced interconnects and headphone cables and have fun!
I am thinking about it. But it's a bit tricky going balanced with the headphones I use. The Avantone Planar can not go balanced. But I don't see much benefit as its easy to drive. The Ultrasone Edition 11 uses 2 pin cables, so getting a XLR balanced 2 pin cable will be tricky and priceyyy. And also, a lot of my headphones don't require to much power. So going balanced might not do a massive difference. The M500 already drove my headphones beautifully. But the SH-9 is just to further improve what I already am getting 😊

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #123 of 144
I am thinking about it. But it's a bit tricky going balanced with the headphones I use. The Avantone Planar can not go balanced. But I don't see much benefit as its easy to drive. The Ultrasone Edition 11 uses 2 pin cables, so getting a XLR balanced 2 pin cable will be tricky and priceyyy. And also, a lot of my headphones don't require to much power. So going balanced might not do a massive difference. The M500 already drove my headphones beautifully. But the SH-9 is just to further improve what I already am getting 😊
Every headphone can go balanced with enough effort 😂
IMG_20201106_175803.jpg

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #124 of 144
Recently I got an amplifer Singxer SA-1 with my DAC M500 v2.

I thought when I got my M500 I may don't need an external amp, I had ifi ican se , Gilmore lite mk2 and Topping L30. The Topping L30 shows me a high potential with a good external amp and was the only step up from M500 internal amp.
BUT Singxer SA-1 was the shock upgrade, the sound Ferrari compare to a Mustang :p. Depth and transparency in another level.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #125 of 144
Hi everyone.
I connected the smsl m500 to the pc with the USB cable and I had no problem.
I also connected the smsl m500 to the TV with an optical cable. I noticed that the audio cuts out for an instant every two minutes or so! Then the audio resumes normally. But that moment's interruption bothers me. How can I solve?

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #126 of 144
Hi everyone.
I connected the smsl m500 to the pc with the USB cable and I had no problem.
I also connected the smsl m500 to the TV with an optical cable. I noticed that the audio cuts out for an instant every two minutes or so! Then the audio resumes normally. But that moment's interruption bothers me. How can I solve?
Upgade the m500 or change the optical cable. If you want to take the best quality buy a android device and connect by usb.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #127 of 144
what do you mean to update smsl m500? Update the firmware?
The optical cable I used is of good quality: kabeldirekt. It's new.

I needed a DAC / AMP with remote control to connect to the PC with USB cable and to the TV with optical cable. I chose the smsl m500.

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #128 of 144
what do you mean to update smsl m500? Update the firmware?
The optical cable I used is of good quality: kabeldirekt. It's new.

I needed a DAC / AMP with remote control to connect to the PC with USB cable and to the TV with optical cable. I chose the smsl m500.
Yes, firmware update.
You can reach more quality and mqa by USB.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #130 of 144
I'm on a Mac, and can't figure out how to update the SW. I downloaded the file, but have no way to get it onto the M500. Any ideas?
EDIT: Never mind, that update file is PC-only. (as far as I can tell - some said there was also a Mac file in the .rar but I only see an .exe) I'm stuck with 2019 1.5 SW, so it's going back. I can't stand the clicks and glitches between songs whenever the sample rate changes in MQA mode.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #131 of 144
I have updated the firmware to version 2.06 (same firmware as M400) and I no longer notice the problem

muchas gracias jlspa182

You have put a M400 firmware into a M500 without any issues ?
Interesting, as I couldn't find any dedicated firmware for the M500 which had no issues.
Have you some links about this action .. I feel strange to read it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #132 of 144
Does anyone have a reliable way to contact SMLS support? I tried email, I tried FB messaging, I tried PM, and got not a single response. It's a great DAC, but apparently they cannot handle minor problems. I'm sending mine back for exchange, but it's turning out to be a lottery, which I lost with my first unit.

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #133 of 144
Does anyone have a reliable way to contact SMLS support? I tried email, I tried FB messaging, I tried PM, and got not a single response. It's a great DAC, but apparently they cannot handle minor problems. I'm sending mine back for exchange, but it's turning out to be a lottery, which I lost with my first unit.
Try Aliexpress official shop
SMSL Official Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vUnBdx

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #134 of 144
It can connect with the amazon seller if bought it from amazon. Amazon has customer contact information to contact the seller directly. There can be more direct exchanges for you or consultation on batch issues. Due to the User data private addiction protection. Thanks

S.M.S.L Stay updated on S.M.S.L at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/S.M.S.LOfficiaI https://twitter.com/SMSL_Official http://www.smsl-audio.com/ smsl_mandy@126.com
Oct 19, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #135 of 144
I recently bought a Denon DNP-800NE (network streamer) , which uses a Burr Brown PCM1795 DAC chip. I was recently on holiday and read up on that chip and most what I read was, that the Sabre ES9038PRO , is more recent and a lot better. The Denon supports an external DAC via Toslink (optical)

So, I'm considering to buy the SMSL M500 , but only if it will have an audible improvement. I know audible is up to anyone's own perception , but I'm open to educated guesses / opinions

I read on another Audio site that streamers like Denon, Yamaha (etc) usually use 'good enough' DAC's ,so this , plus my research on the DAC chip in the Denon , made me think of going this way

The link would be NAS (DNLA) > Denon streamer > SMSL DAC > Cayden Tube Amp (CS-88A) > Klipsch RP6000f tower speakers

Many thanks in advance !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back