SMSL DO300 DAC SABRE ES9039MSPRO
Jan 24, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 14
Can't stand SMSL with their constant releases of DACs. I guess it's the only way for them to stay relevant in this industry. Their strategy probably consists of:
1. Buy the latest DAC chips from either ESS or AKM.
2. Slap it on a PCB that was possibly used for another product.
3. Make sure it measures well.
4. Add a bunch of technical words like DSD, MQA, THD, Op-amp in the marketing materials.
5. Send samples to Amir from ASR and a bunch of Youtubers to "review" product.
6. Profit??

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 14
I've been heavily eyeing the DO200 mkII, so this complicates things...

*edit* the DAC section of the DO300 actually looks a lot like a repackage of the SU-9?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 14
It's been over a month and I still haven't seen any reviews or comparisons for this thing.

SMSL released a new DAC and the whole world shrugged.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 14
It's been over a month and I still haven't seen any reviews or comparisons for this thing.

SMSL released a new DAC and the whole world shrugged.
I personally don't care about DACs from SMSL and Topping anymore when they keep releasing new models every other month. It was cool a few years ago when there weren't that many affordable DACs on the market. Most of their offerings are now in the 500-700 dollars range. I would rather spend that money on a ladder DAC which can a unique sound signature over the typical cookie cutter Delta-Sigmas.

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 14
Hello every body, this afternoon I have received SMSL DO300. I only can say that this small dac is very impressive from the first minute. I take it to replace my old Wyred4sound dac2dsd. I am without words. I did not believe that it could beat w4s. Smsl do300 is on other Planet. It is detailed, warm, sotf, precise, with large soundstage. W4s play well but it is flat and tiring. Now burnout in progress 😊
Enjoy the music

Mar 25, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 14
Feb 24, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 14
I have the DO300 arriving today. Plan on using with a newly purchased Schiit Lyr+ all connected to a desktop computer.

[update]
All set up. After some fiddling (see Lyr+ thread in Headphone Amp section) it's all good and sounds great to my ears. Also, no "wobbly control knob" on this DO300.

IMG_0573.jpeg

2024-02-25 15_16_20-Roon.png

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 14
After a week with this I have to say it is a great DAC. One thing lacking tho’ is a detailed user manual.

One question, by not attaching the BT antenna is the Bluetooth effectually off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back