SMSL DO200
Dec 3, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 30
Dec 3, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 30
Why would you like to replace your DAC with this one?
On paper the Topping looks better , by I never listened to it.

Topping is OK I guess, it has replicable Opamp, which made sound much better but wanted something that had MQA capable DAC on all interface.

Main interface I use is I2S and AES/EBU and believe this is one of the rare SMSL DAC with AES output (think only VMV D2 has AES interface) plus it has XLR/RCA output selector.

Actually it is more itchiness to try new one as I had DX7 nearly for 6 months :)

Anyway ordered this this morning from Amazon (Aoshida) so hopefully it is hear sometime next week.

Thanks.

Dec 3, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 30
Topping is OK I guess, it has replicable Opamp, which made sound much better but wanted something that had MQA capable DAC on all interface.

Main interface I use is I2S and AES/EBU and believe this is one of the rare SMSL DAC with AES output (think only VMV D2 has AES interface) plus it has XLR/RCA output selector.

Actually it is more itchiness to try new one as I had DX7 nearly for 6 months :)

Anyway ordered this this morning from Amazon (Aoshida) so hopefully it is hear sometime next week.

Thanks.
Let me know how you like it.
I am using it daily although I have some much more expensive DACs.

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 30
Oh yeah will do... yeah it's not my main DAC either :) but just wanted to try the new Sabre 9068 chip.. hopefully has treble glare than 9038 chip...

Was little disappointed with Topping D90SE....

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 30
Oh yeah will do... yeah it's not my main DAC either :) but just wanted to try the new Sabre 9068 chip.. hopefully has treble glare than 9038 chip...

Was little disappointed with Topping D90SE....
This one doesn't have treble glare and not much digital artifacts.

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 30
This one doesn't have treble glare and not much digital artifacts.
Oh didn't realize you reviews EX5 how is DO200 compared to EX5 as a DAC only? Have returned the EX5 within a month.. huge disappointment actually,

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 30
The EX5 is very good as a DAC/amp , I really liked it but as a DAC only it fells apart.
The DO200 is much better.
awesome thanks for the info :)

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 30
It is Weekend!! You know this means some free time, some good music, and a new awesome review about an interesting product. There's been a lot of talk about MQA lately, and regardless whether you like it or not, it is better for a DAC to support it than not, so today I'm reviewing the only DAC out there that can decode MQA on every input~

This is the DO200 from AOSHIDA-Audio & SMSL, a desktop DAC that has a low noise floor on all inputs, good connectivity, and Bluetooth with LDAC support!

Read more about how it sounds like, what its features are, and how it compares to others in my full written review about it

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...ed-dac-finest-mqa-performance-everywhere.html

SMSL-S.M.S.L-DO200-DO-200-DAC-MQA-Digital-To-Analogue-Converter-Aoshida-Dilvpoetry-Review-Audi...jpg

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 30
It is Weekend!! You know this means some free time, some good music, and a new awesome review about an interesting product. There's been a lot of talk about MQA lately, and regardless whether you like it or not, it is better for a DAC to support it than not, so today I'm reviewing the only DAC out there that can decode MQA on every input~

This is the DO200 from AOSHIDA-Audio & SMSL, a desktop DAC that has a low noise floor on all inputs, good connectivity, and Bluetooth with LDAC support!

Read more about how it sounds like, what its features are, and how it compares to others in my full written review about it

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...ed-dac-finest-mqa-performance-everywhere.html

Nice review but this device doesn't look to support MQA over I2S. I have tested it using Coax RCA and AES/EBU and they indeed do full decoding and rendering but not using I2S...

Just got this today hoping I2S could decode MQA but doesn't seem to be able to do so... anyway nice little DAC..

ps new remote control not as good as previous remote... luckily i have the older Remote and it still works without issue :)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 30
Nice review but this device doesn't look to support MQA over I2S. I have tested it using Coax RCA and AES/EBU and they indeed do full decoding and rendering but not using I2S...

Just got this today hoping I2S could decode MQA but doesn't seem to be able to do so... anyway nice little DAC..

ps new remote control not as good as previous remote... luckily i have the older Remote and it still works without issue :)

Hiii there,

Woah really good to keep that in mind, will edit my review to mention it!

I didn't know about the remote, I only have known SMSL with the newer remote :frowning2:

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #15 of 30
Have had to return mine... 2 main issues.

USB too much noise. Never had issue with USB noise issue on any DAC but with DO200, I am constantly hearing tick tick sound while playing the music. This is same cable and same port on my PC and not sure why but have had so much issue. Uninstall driver and all that didn't help...

2nd issue was with I2S. When changing the input to I2S, only right chanel has sound and no sound was coming from left chanel at all. Once you turn if off and turn it back on, then i have not had any issue at all. This only happened when you change inptu after device is turned on. Suspect that I am using non-default I2S pinout setting on the device could be the cause?

Seller will test once they receive it and let me know but hopefully I received dodge unit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back