SMSL DL200 ?
Oct 20, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 7
I read on amazon that some units have serious issues and they died after using bluetooth connection.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 7
I read on amazon that some units have serious issues and they died after using bluetooth connection.
Which is true. There are other QC issues too. My first unit had an error in the balanced headphone out. It would work with some plugs, not with others, so I sent it back. They replaced it with a new one, which worked better. Until the USB-C input failed, so it went back. Three times a charm? Nah, my third unit has been with me for two weeks now and yesterday, I noticed bluetooth has developed an issue. It worked fine when I got it, no background noise whatsoever. Now, I have a disturbing amount of static when I feed it over BT. I tried isolating the DL200 and switching off all mobile and other devices anywhere in the house, only to conclude that the issue is an internal DL200 one. So now, I will send this third one back too. No more SMSL products for me! PS when it works it's a nice bit of kit for the money.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 7
I had an smsl in the past. Great sound quality, terrible features and user interface.
The small volume knob that doubles as the input for all the functions (press it to switch between them, then rotate to select the desired option) is a bit wonky. That said, it is one of the things that never failed me on the units I had. Besides, once you select the settings, you hardly need it. I only ever really switched between USB and BT in and LO - HO after i set it. Well, not quite, I also switched to high gain for a pair of high impedance headphones every once in a blue moon. Come to think of it, the interface was not too bad on the DL200. I liked the fact that I could set the display to just go dark automatically 3 seconds after the last input. It's a bit of you get what you pay for though. While not super budget, the DL200 sits well towards the entry level DACs available. If not for the aforementioned issues, I would have been pleased with it.

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Just got one of these today, it's a keeper. As a combo unit it's nice, but equalizing the DT770 250 ohm with a -6 preamp reduction it's hitting the limit. I added a Sabaj A20h since that's designed for a 5 volt companion DAC that's been out of production for a while now. I'd bet this does great in the 50mv test, the 7hz Timeless AE sound terrific (lowest ohm item I currently have). The Hifiman HE5xx with balanced on the Sabaj a20h is at -47db in low gain (it has medium and high) and I wouldn't go louder. I usually run it with a Topping E50 and have to set it higher than that for fun but not damaging volume levels.
No issues so far and wouldn't be surprised if it puts out the factory spec 5 volts (I have 1/4inch RCA to XLR cables for it, same ones the E50 uses). The volume wheel is a little small, but it more than makes up for it by being so far away from the headphone jacks. It runs cool as a cucumber, even in high gain for a while with the DT770's on it. Going to pull out a Topping A90 later and see what fits on top of it :)

PXL_20231127_222441734.jpg

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Which is true. There are other QC issues too. My first unit had an error in the balanced headphone out. It would work with some plugs, not with others, so I sent it back. They replaced it with a new one, which worked better. Until the USB-C input failed, so it went back. Three times a charm? Nah, my third unit has been with me for two weeks now and yesterday, I noticed bluetooth has developed an issue. It worked fine when I got it, no background noise whatsoever. Now, I have a disturbing amount of static when I feed it over BT. I tried isolating the DL200 and switching off all mobile and other devices anywhere in the house, only to conclude that the issue is an internal DL200 one. So now, I will send this third one back too. No more SMSL products for me! PS when it works it's a nice bit of kit for the money.
That sucks, I hope with the above reply that this issue was resolved with a second rev!

Does anyone know if this unit has auto shutoff/standby?
Will it turn off/standby when you turn off PC?

That sounds concerning .. I had actually thought SMSL had better quality than TOPPING which also seems quite dumb in finish/functionality such as lack of auto shutdown or the useless remote which should never be used cuz it needs to be right in front of the device so its a total waste of money on the manufacturers side if you ask me I'd rather be without it if its that bad tbh!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 7
That sucks, I hope with the above reply that this issue was resolved with a second rev!

Does anyone know if this unit has auto shutoff/standby?
Will it turn off/standby when you turn off PC?

That sounds concerning .. I had actually thought SMSL had better quality than TOPPING which also seems quite dumb in finish/functionality such as lack of auto shutdown or the useless remote which should never be used cuz it needs to be right in front of the device so its a total waste of money on the manufacturers side if you ask me I'd rather be without it if its that bad tbh!
To get the auto shutoff feature, the JDS Atom 2 amp/DAC stack has it, and even more power, the DL200 doesn't. The only downside is the slight pop when it changes bit rates. I don't mind since all music is 44.1khz/16 bit FLAC and I play Destiny 2 at 48khz so it's pretty rare. Same power on both connectors, and the 1.5 watt at 32ohm is a lot more power than most people think since it's also a 5 volt DAC, so there's current behind it. Advantage of being able to fit any full size amplifier like a Topping A90 or A70Pro right on top of it, same exact dimensions. On the Sennheiser HD650 or Hifiman HE5xx I never need high gain, but on the HE-560 I do, just to give a real world idea of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back