SMS by 50 cent
Dec 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #31 of 55
Sleek used to be involved in this project, and then they left... it used to be 50 Cent by Sleek, or something like that. Back then I was mildly interested but now, nope

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #34 of 55
Have any of you actually put on these headphones and tested them?

If not, why are you immediately dismissing them as terrible? That is pretty unfair. This is the same way that other brands are treated by some on these forums. These phones may be popular with the masses, thus it cannot be good enough for my elite ears. Seriously... just give these things a fair test before ripping them apart!

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #35 of 55

Quote:

If not, why are you immediately dismissing them as terrible? That is pretty unfair. This is the same way that other brands are treated by some on these forums. These phones may be popular with the masses, thus it cannot be good enough for my elite ears. Seriously... just give these things a fair test before ripping them apart!

There are already certain reviews on the net about sms by 50,such as the one by innerfidelity.com saying the headphones sound even worse than soul by ludacris and beats by dre.
And @ak47-whaaa I think it was 50 who left sleek not the other way around.Bad choice imo..

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 55

Quote:
There are already certain reviews on the net about sms by 50,such as the one by innerfidelity.com saying the headphones sound even worse than soul by ludacris and beats by dre.
And @ak47-whaaa I think it was 50 who left sleek not the other way around.Bad choice imo..

I don't have the source on hand but I remember reading a few articles saying it was Sleek terminating their agreement... feel free to prove me wrong though

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #37 of 55
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/06/sleek-audio-terminates-agreement-with-50-cent-puts-over-the-ear/

Looks like it was 50 Cent who broke it off.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #38 of 55

Quote:

People fare more knowledgeable than I have already put these cans through their paces and have both hard numbers and real world use that show that they are woefully inadequate. They don't need me to look at what they've already called a pile of poo and say, "yep, that's a pile of poo all right."

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #39 of 55
Exactly why 50 leaving sleek audio and starting his own company was such a horrible idea.He may know what good music sounds like but has no idea how the technology works..
If he stuck with sleek and went on to make sleek by 50,I truly believe he could've made a beats killer.A pair of headphones that sound good for its price AND has excellent styling.
Sadly,it was not to be..

May 7, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Hate to bring up an old Topic but I actually own a Pair of Street by 50. I thought they sounded better than the beats solo and studio. I havent tried the pros so thats as far as I go though. These headphones arent as bass heavy as the Beats and the mids are more balanced but they still definitely arent worth their price tag (250$ I think) They have the sound of a 100$ ish headphone.

May 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #42 of 55
Quote:
Hate to bring up an old Topic but I actually own a Pair of Street by 50. I thought they sounded better than the beats solo and studio. I havent tried the pros so thats as far as I go though. These headphones arent as bass heavy as the Beats and the mids are more balanced but they still definitely arent worth their price tag (250$ I think) They have the sound of a 100$ ish headphone.

Wait are they out? Oh well. I don't really care that much about stuff that isn't worth it.

May 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #43 of 55
I have a pair of these that I was sent to review, and I like them better than the Beats.  The bass extension is really nice, bass is emphasized tight.  Treble is weak and detail is lost.  Some music sounds great with these - I like them with bass baritone male voices.  There is a weird hump in the upper range and sometimes female voices sound like sung through a kazoo.  Overall I like them better than the V-Moda LP2 but less than the Sennheiser HD 595.  The AKG M50s are more balanced and better overall but for the most part I find I like music better with the SMS by 50.  

I enjoy reading Tyll's reviews, but I don't always agree with him.  I think the SMS by 50 is a pretty good headphone.  I would not have bought it, but I enjoy it sometimes more than other headphones I have that are good headphones and well-reviewed. However, it's a little too pricey and not very well-positioned in the market.  To my ears it is better than the Beats.

May 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #44 of 55
Well they are better than the beats...that's something. 
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #45 of 55
Yeah I was looking for a decent sounding, stylish headphone and I found these returned in like new condition for 160$. I jumped on em and liked them. they have a very durable headband, soft comfy earpads, and a sweet design (imo anyways) I cant recommend these though unless your looking for something fashionable or you get a deal like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back