Smooth sound in a older player?
Feb 7, 2004 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hassy500

Head-Fier
Hey all:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new source for my Stax 005 outfit. It seems a little bright with a couple of entry-level Sony CDP's. I tried the NAD 521BEE and a Sherwood Newcastle 980 with some decent Audioquest cables. I preferred the 980; the detail of the 521BEE was still there, but the bass and punch of the Sherwood was much more to my liking. I was extremely impressed (but I resisted the temptation to hear a Rega Planet 2000 for wallet safety reasons).

I can pick up the Sherwood for $299 from a local shop. I searched HeadFi and Audioreview for info. Consensus seems positive (Burr Brown goodies/DAC's), but not much info here and the player seems to be older (most reviews from year 2000 or so). I desperately need to save money on my system, but don't want to regret my source after a couple of months due to a lack of info/oversight of something serious. Any thoughts on the player itself or other options at under $500 new?

Thanks again,

Hassy500
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 3
if you are not a huge fan of bright sound "like myslelf" you might wanna consider an older "vintage" cd player made from Denon. Do a ebay search for Denon DCD-1500 maybe a Denon DCD-1520. I think you would be suprised at how good these sound and more important... how much money you will save!

Feb 10, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 3
I think there are both 980 and 980T's out there and that the T is the more recent model. I have one on order from jandr. Their list is $249.00 but they will bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back