Smooth, relaxing and comfy open phones - £100/$200
Apr 4, 2008 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bernado

100+ Head-Fier
Any ideas? My birthday's coming up so I can justify (to myself at least, not sure about the GF) a new purchase. I'm looking for some open phones I can wear in bed and fall asleep in so they need to be comfy and fairly robust. I'm thinking smooth and relaxing rather than detailed and exciting. I'm using Cowon M5 with mini3 amp.

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 9
I would look into the Sennheiser HD555 or the Audio Technica AD700. I used both of them for the same purpose as you. The HD555 is definitely the smoother, more relaxing of the two while the AD700 is more exciting (although still very smooth). I would definitely recommend the AD700 over the HD555 for just general listening but if only used to fall asleep, either will be great as long as you sleep on your back.

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 9
I have used and would recommend the Sennheiser 595 if you like wearing comfort and smooth sound. Its not the most "excellent" in any particular area of sound, but overall its a very enjoyable headphone to wear and to listen to. Smooth and relaxing pretty much sums up the 595 in my experience. Amping it will tighten up the bass.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions. Can the HD595s sound decent at lowish volumes or do you need to pump them up a little? Funnily enough I had just finnished reading your review musicmind before you posted.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Sounds like Sennheiser to me. The HD-555 aren't bad at all, but the HD-600 are a worthy upgrade if you can find them within your price range.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions. Can the HD595s sound decent at lowish volumes or do you need to pump them up a little? Funnily enough I had just finnished reading your review musicmind before you posted.

Hi Bernardo

I think the 595 is perfectly capable at low volumes. The "veil" that folks complain about isnt really a muffled sound that begs to be turned up, its just that some of the highest treble details/sparkle arent that audible compared to more detailed headphones like the AD2000. But the 595 is always pleasant, and when paired with an amp to tighten up the bass a bit, is a great headphone for the price. The comfort is top class in my experience, very light on the head. If it wasnt for head-fi, I would have been happy with it...but you know how it goes, when you hang around here you get the urge to try more toys
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 9
A250 - Too much treble... PASS
RS1/HF1/SR60 - Too much "Grado"... PASS
PK1 - Not quite warm/bassy enough, although SUPERBLY comfy... PASS (barely)

HD580... a completely sleep-inducing experience at low volumes. They are my most relaxing cans, and if you roll over and bust them they are easily taken apart and repaired.

You might also want to consider the PK2, its a little warmer / groovier than the PK1, and doesn't really need an amp... plus it is very comfy, IMHO. Fang offers great customer support in the event that they need servicing.

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 9
I have similar question, just price should be not more than $100. I'm selecting from HD555 and AD500. As far as I know AD500 are more comfortable. But seems like (from people opinions) that HD555 are more relaxing.
Need your help about which of them to choose. Music will be blues, jazz, sometimes something like Enigma (I don't the name of this genre).
Currently I have AKG K518 and I love their sound so if you can compare HD555 and AD500 with K518 it would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back