Smooth Jazz - the poorly named upbeat instrumental music I love
Oct 14, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 32
Smooth jazz for us head-fi is beats/bose vs sennie/akg/etc.....

Smooth jazz was criticized because the musician made/composed the music liked by the majority of crowd and call their music jazz, with some "smooth" moniker inserted. This angered the real jazz musician. One of the biggest so called coup to jazz is when Kenny G compose the rendition of What A Wonderful World with Louis Armstrong whilst he was playing his sax as the music. I personally enjoyed the track and believe there's nothing wrong with it.....

Like I said above, I found that for me all those mainstream jazz like Chick Corea, etc are too intense for me to enjoy. Even jazz in the pawnshop.....

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 32
Hello,

I just discovered this forum - I like it and need to explore more.

Regarding smooth jazz, does anyone know how to browse smooth jazz artists on iTunes?  There doesn't seem to be anyway to narrow the jazz category down and I get all categories of jazz at the same time.  I can only narrow this down a bit once a smooth jazz artist album is selected and then go to "Listeners Also Bought" at the bottom of the page.  Unlike Amazon MP3 where you can click on "Genres-Jazz-Smooth Jazz."

Thanks for any help on this.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 32
As far as the knocks on smooth jazz I dont disagree with anything that's already been stated but what drives the purists crazy (not me) is how smooth jazz instills tons of pre-programed drums and loops which goes against what jazz always was.

I always thought good music was good music no matter what kind of music it was or how it was made.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #19 of 32
Any of you guys know 'Portico Quartet'? And would that fall in this category? Recently stumbled upon them and a new world of music opened for me... I want more :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 32
I always thought good music was good music no matter what kind of music it was or how it was made.

beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 32
  Any of you guys know 'Portico Quartet'? And would that fall in this category? Recently stumbled upon them and a new world of music opened for me... I want more :)

I'm going to have to give them a listen.  Album name? 

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #22 of 32

I'm going to have to give them a listen.  Album name? 

Try their most recent album, it's selftitled (Portico Quartet). There is also a Live version of it, but try the studio version of it first. They also use an uncommon instrument called a 'Hang', which apparently has been developed only in the 21st century by some Germans. The sound is similar to the steelpans they use in the Caribbean.

Here a sample from that album:

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 32
interesting music. not too much my cup of tea. i wont classify them as smooth jazz though. more like new age or alternative jazz. is that weird percussion that looks like a barbecue place the one thats called "hang"?

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #24 of 32
  interesting music. not too much my cup of tea. i wont classify them as smooth jazz though. more like new age or alternative jazz. is that weird percussion that looks like a barbecue place the one thats called "hang"?

Yep, those UFO shaped things is called the hang. And thanks for helping me with the classification (although, what's in a classification right? as long as the music is good).

I do think their older albums are a bit more jazzy and that with their latest album they're headed in a new direction. Their older albums are called 'Isla' and 'Kne deep in the north sea'.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #26 of 32
Steve Cole's album Pulse has to be one of the most gorgeous albums I've heard of late. I'd call it smooth jazz, but not sure what others would call it. Jazz is fickle enough as it is when it comes to what subgenre each artist lies in, so meh.

1 and 3 are something special, in my opinion. Too bad the video is only 480p, but I've listened on Spotify premium with good results. I plan to buy a CD very shortly (holiday fever!)

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #28 of 32
Wow it's good to know I'm not the only one with "weird" musical taste. LOL. a good chunk of my 44000 song music collection is smooth jazz. I love it. Other artists that I have and nobody mentioned are Marion Meadows, Marcus Miller, Candy Dulfer, Tom Scott, Paul Taylor,

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #29 of 32
As far as the knocks on smooth jazz I dont disagree with anything that's already been stated but what drives the purists crazy (not me) is how smooth jazz instills tons of pre-programed drums and loops which goes against what jazz always was.

Amen brother

Users who are viewing this thread

Back