smooth cables
Jul 31, 2001 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

blr

500+ Head-Fier
As I posted elsewhere I'am considering getting the X-Can V2.
I've had the amp for about 5 days now and did quite some listening.
Now what bothers me is that the system (MarantzCD6000OSEand HD600) now is a bit overbright for my tastes. There is a peak at the high mids which makes female voices sound screamy and somethimes sibilant. Currently I use van den Hul D102 III interconnects. These are fantastic cables, very neutral, but they also allow for the X-Can to unleash its brightness.
So, here is the question, can you recommend a cable that can tame this without killing the fine instrument separation of the amp. I'am a bit reluctant to do so since I'll allways know that the cable is coloured, but on the other hand I'll take it as a system fine tuning.

I'd also be pleased to hear to what extent tube rolling can calm the X.-Can down.

Jul 31, 2001 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 22
Go higher on the Van Del Hul line, I bought "The First" after I audition the D102MK3, IMO "The First" is more natural sounding and with more bass weight.

The theroy goes that since there's no metal in the cable, The sound has no harshness, as conductor is pure carbon instead of copper or silver. And I agree with it, it tame my Marantz CD6000KI nicely. If you don't want to spend that much, Thunderline is supposed to be quite good too, but I don't the if the difference is that noticable compair to the D102 since it's only the next one up.

One other thing, The First can be use as a co-axial cable. it is 75 ohm so it's work perfectly. In fact, it has loads of favourable review from magazines with it using as a normal and co-axial cable. (you'll have 2 co-axial cable if you decide to use it like that)

oh, I use it with the X-CANv2 and 580.

Jul 31, 2001 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 22
Try MIT Terminator cables (T2 is quite good). Not sure what your budget is, but you can get these at Audio Advisor for half off almost all the time.

T2 is mellow yet articulate without any trouble in the highs. Great "real-world" cables.

markl

Jul 31, 2001 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 22
I bought the Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen 2's used from Audio Asylum Inmate Stephæn. They are a very smooth cable. Warm yet still very detailed. Best I've heard in my system so far (I've tried Audioquest Coral, DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 Series II, Monster Cable Interlink 400 MkII, and came-with-it cheapies).

Jul 31, 2001 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 22
I've made my own silver interconnects and bought SilverCats from www.catcables.com

Ultra detailed and very warm. Great "budget" interconnect.

Brian.

Aug 1, 2001 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 22
I'll vouch for the MIT T2s. (I have 2 pairs) Very smooth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2001 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 22
Oh, if the X-Cans tend to be bright, then I'd rescind my silver cable recommendation...

Brian.

Aug 1, 2001 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 22
I second arnett's recommendation for the Cardas 300-B. They are warm, rich and harmonically coherent, with very convincing timing and a very lively and natural presentation, blissfully free of any hi-fi effects. I perceive them as very musical and enjoyable. Definitely worth a try.

Aug 2, 2001 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
As I posted elsewhere I'am considering getting the X-Can V2.
I've had the amp for about 5 days now and did quite some listening.
Now what bothers me is that the system (MarantzCD6000OSEand HD600) now is a bit overbright for my tastes. There is a peak at the high mids which makes female voices sound screamy and somethimes sibilant. Currently I use van den Hul D102 III interconnects. These are fantastic cables, very neutral, but they also allow for the X-Can to unleash its brightness.
So, here is the question, can you recommend a cable that can tame this without killing the fine instrument separation of the amp. I'am a bit reluctant to do so since I'll allways know that the cable is coloured, but on the other hand I'll take it as a system fine tuning.

I'd also be pleased to hear to what extent tube rolling can calm the X.-Can down.

Hi blr,

I would suggest you hold your horses for the mo ... I suspect changing your D102s may only provide part of the solution.

Consider this;

Since your X-Can is only 5 days old, I would recommend that you use it for a few more hours allowing the unit more time to run-in. Say, assuming you have used your X-Can for an average of about 2 hours a day, over 5 days, you would have only clocked in about 10 plus hours of use. Let it run-in for another 24 to 36 hours and re-evaluate again - You may well discover that its tonal charecteristics would balance out and the subjective "stringency" in the upper mids, you now hear, eventually mellowing out.

Additionally, consider experimenting with the surfaces your cdp and X-Can are residing on. If the X-Can and cdp are residing on glass shelves for example, then it is likely the glass shelves are indirectly imparting a resonance signatures to the components and in turn exagerating certain freq range, for example, like the "stringent/hard/bright" upper mids that you are currently experiencing. To counter that, try some inexpensive sobothane or vibrapod (resilient) feets, under both cdp and X-Can, or maybe just the X-Can as a minimum. For the X-Can, you can consider placing it on a solid wooden slab (chopping block), and with some vibrapods under the maple slab. Add some blutac under the X-Can's horizontal "feet" and allow the X-Can unit to couple to the wooden slab surface. That would change structural resonances within the X-Can and the mass for the wooden block, with the help of the vibrapods, will help to further dampen out some resonance/vibration. Also, in addition to the vibrapods, place a book (for weight) on top of the cdp top cover, adding mass and helping to reduce resonance within the cdp's structure. If do not want to use a book, make up a sandbag as alternative.

Okay ... try all these suggestions, and be patient ... re-evaluate again in say, two weeks time, and you may find the D102 ICs are okay afterall ...

Good luck,
cool.gif

Aug 2, 2001 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 22
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Darrylnz, I really appreciated your post.
My CDP is already resting on SonicDesign damping feet. These are soft type feet and brought quite some improvement mainly at the bottom end and sounstaging.
I tried to decouple the X-Can using only a stiff foam blocks but it didn't help. In fact I lost some focus at the upper bass and lower mids, didn't like it at all. However, I'll try your suggestion for a separate bord and feet solution.
The X-Can have been on warm up for a five days now and played for about 12-14 hours in total. I noticed some softening in the high mids last night but the overall effect is still too bright, hope the break in will continue.
About the cables, you're right D102 III is an amazing cable, very neutral. It is not bright at all, just allows you to hear you system. I should perhaps try to experiment elsewhere (placing, tube rolling) before going to a rolled off cable.
Thanks once again everyone.

Aug 3, 2001 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Darrylnz, I really appreciated your post.
My CDP is already resting on SonicDesign damping feet. These are soft type feet and brought quite some improvement mainly at the bottom end and sounstaging.
I tried to decouple the X-Can using only a stiff foam blocks but it didn't help. In fact I lost some focus at the upper bass and lower mids, didn't like it at all. However, I'll try your suggestion for a separate bord and feet solution.
The X-Can have been on warm up for a five days now and played for about 12-14 hours in total. I noticed some softening in the high mids last night but the overall effect is still too bright, hope the break in will continue.
About the cables, you're right D102 III is an amazing cable, very neutral. It is not bright at all, just allows you to hear you system. I should perhaps try to experiment elsewhere (placing, tube rolling) before going to a rolled off cable.
Thanks once again everyone.

Happy to help, Blr.

FWIW and simply FYI, I felt that I should mention that I have auditioned the various X-components from Musical Fidelity and I have consistently discovered that the they generally are quite "microphonic" even though they are quite solidly built gear. I have tried the X-Act, X-24kDac, X-Pre, X-Can, and X-10D and they all seemed to benefit from some additional isolation, from the hard surfaces they were resting on. Glass shelves certainly did them little favours and placing them directly on top of another component is also not recommended, IMO.

Yes, I am familiar with those SonicDesign rubber feets as I have a them placed under my dvd player, headphone amp (still experimenting to determine if the SD feets sounded subjectively "better" under my headphone amp or the AQ Sobothane pucks) , and my floorstanding spkrs. Great stuff those SDs. I also use Navcom Silencer feets.

Well Blr, good luck with your experiments/trials on the X-Cans/D102 ... certainly try the isolation/placements of the X-Can first as they are relatively sensitive to what they rest on.

Cheers,
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2001 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 22
Tried this. I took a pair of SD feet from under my MD deck and placed a thick wooden piece on top and placed the X-Can on it. It brought some minor improvements, everything is a bit cleaner and better defined now. The (already very good) instrument separation god even better, but it didn't help to tame the thing that much . Tried the feet directly under the X-Can with similar results, ie better then no feet but still more mellowness/smoothness in the lower treble is needed. So, I'am selling my belowed van den Hul cables and will look for something that sounds darker.

Thanks again very much for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back