Smoking and IEMs?
Jul 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

googleli

Headphoneus Supremus
Any smokers here? I am just wondering whether smoking with IEM on will taint the inner parts of the IEM with the same things that are polluting our lungs... You know, tar, nicotine and all that... I have got almost all top-end universal IEMs and smoke with them on. But now I am probably getting JH-13 - asking just to make sure I don't ruin those $1000 IEMs...

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 16
maybe the answer is to quit smoking? Besides after buying some JH-13's your wallet could be feeling pretty light as it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 16
maybe you'll need to change the filters in the JH|13 once in a while
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 16
dont smoke while listening to the 13's, it'll most likely make them smell bad, and get stained from the tar, may clog the sound filters, and could possibly even damage the armatures

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 16
Who the hell smokes when listening to any headphone? I assume cigarettes here...

Sheesh, I don't want to buy yours if you do....and I love smoking. But let's keep these two wonderful addictions separate eh?

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you are smoking with them in a confined closet, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Qusp: "change the filters" LOL!! Classic!!

hehe yeah I thought it was funny too; glad someone liked it (or got the IEM humour)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steviebee
Who the hell smokes when listening to any headphone? I assume cigarettes here...

Sheesh, I don't want to buy yours if you do....and I love smoking. But let's keep these two wonderful addictions separate eh?

huh, I smoke with IEMs in all the time and I wont stop when my JH|13 arrive; I like to use IEMs to enhance my everyday life and I wear them for extended periods while doing pretty much anything. I fail to see how the minute amount of smoke that might travel up your throat and into your ear-canal will do any damage and I like to go about my business as normal; albeit with awesome tunes pumping

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It actually accelerates the burn-in process.

i see waht you did thar

If I had to guess, the amount of smoke that makes it to your ear canals is very small, if any. I don't think you'll have to worry about tar buildup on the transducers or anything.

Just smoke outdoors. You don't want that tar mixing with dust and then coating the insides of your computer. You'll have to pay a lot to get that cleaned out (simply because nobody wants to do it)... or do it yourself.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fail to see how the minute amount of smoke that might travel up your throat and into your ear-canal will do any damage and I like to go about my business as normal; albeit with awesome tunes pumping

LOL. It was the lingering stale smell that I was thinking of...y'know, in & on our hair, clothes, IEMs...tbh, never even considered smoke getting at em internally
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 16
yeah thats the only way I can see that it could get to them in any way; the ear canals are connected to your nose and throat afterall.

well I cant see that it would get into them AT ALL externally if you take care of them; they are acrylic after-all and I guess it must be porous to a degree; but I dont see how it could be of any permanent damage to them. or even leave any remnants at all.

but yeah I buy my audio gear to enjoy myself; if I have to get a reduced resale amount to enable me to go about my business as normal; so be it.

that being said i'm considering giving the darts away for the first time. nearly 20 years is enough. the first one with morning coffee is gonna be well missed
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back