Smokers - What's your opinion on "truth" ads?
Sep 17, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
As a major Philip Morris investor, I suppose that I can not contribute in a meaningful way to this thread.

However, I must say that smokers should be allowed to do as they please as long as they are not compromising the health of other individuals.

I think more ought to be done about America's most dangerous and socially destructive drug: ALCOHOL. Unfortunately, this substance is too thoroughly ingrained in our culture for any meaningful steps to be taken against its use and proliferation.

In the meantime, Americans are more than willing to maintain double standards with their drug policies.

-Matt

Alcohol is never going to have such steps taken against it ever since Prohibition failed. But just because good steps vs one drug are not taken, that does not mean we should avoid taking them vs drugs in general.

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 49
I don't smoke, but I don't mind if people enjoy killing themselves as long as they don't do it around me or other people who don't want it around them, or around kids.

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #19 of 49
The ads usually made me more entrenched as a smoker. But now that I've quit I haven't seen any more.

And it wasn't the chance of dying or losing my voice forever, or the yellow teeth, or the bad breath that made me quit... it was my smoker's cough. Best damn thing in the world.

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #20 of 49
To me, the ads are basically propaganda of sorts. By now though, and after surviving all those exaggerated smoking videos throughout middle and high school, I see that not all people who smoke are bad, and it was part of our history back then (waaay back then) to smoke and yet not be the druggies I saw after school (I laughed the day I saw the cops fly over there and almost run them over in their successful attempt to get to them).

But all in all, the risks and disgusts are not worth it, in my opinion. I promised myself long ago I would never do it, and since I am told to be allergic to alcohol (my dad is, so we guessed it off that), guess I can't be tempted very far
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
As a major Philip Morris investor, I suppose that I can not contribute in a meaningful way to this thread.

However, I must say that smokers should be allowed to do as they please as long as they are not compromising the health of other individuals.

I think more ought to be done about America's most dangerous and socially destructive drug: ALCOHOL. Unfortunately, this substance is too thoroughly ingrained in our culture for any meaningful steps to be taken against its use and proliferation.

In the meantime, Americans are more than willing to maintain double standards with their drug policies.

-Matt

i think smoking sucks. i smoked from age 12 to age 16. i was up to more than a pack a day... it's one of the worst things that i ever did and was the most difficult thing for me to quit-- ever. i was extremely determined to quit at such a young age of 16 and i did-- with sheer will power- no patch or other drug company supporting gimmick. (i'm 28 now). i detest the smell of smoke and i hate it when people smoke anywhere near a public building-- to where i have to go into and breath in that crap. it gives me a huge headache now.
frown.gif
any public smoker is compromising the health of any person in public. period. if you want to smoke-- do it far away from any other human being......

on the topic of america's biggest addiction-- it is not alcohol-- but FOOD is our biggest problem. OBESITY is the biggest problem in the u.s.... nutrition is a seriously misunderstood issue in the u.s.a. it is embarrissing.

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcans
on the topic of america's biggest addiction-- it is not alcohol-- but FOOD is our biggest problem. OBESITY is the biggest problem in the u.s.... nutrition is a seriously misunderstood issue in the u.s.a. it is embarrissing.

We're still ahead of Australia, so it's not like we're the fattest country in the world. Still a problem though...

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #26 of 49
I dont mind people smoking, so long as they dont expose me or my family to the smoke. My son coughs uncontrolably from the smoke.

the ads themselves doesnt affect me one way or another.

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #27 of 49
The ads that I have seen catch the eye, which is important. I personally think they're well done. As far as those Australian cigarette labels we have them here in Canada too although most of them are not as bad. I find this one to be most effective because it something young males may care about...
4impotentthumgq3.jpg

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the thread or not, but there was a big uproar here when Sean Penn lit up a smoke inside the press conference during the Toronto Film Festival. If you didn't know, Ontario is smoke free...and I believe he was actually issued a ticket (correct me if I am wrong)

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Woah, I just found out that these ads are funded by the tobacco industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheTruth.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multist...ment_Agreement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Morris

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Apparently these "truth" ads are made/funded by the tobacco companies themselves.

FYI these ads ARE NOT made by the tobacco industry. There is nobody on the Big Tobacco payroll writing, directing etc these commercials. As part of the settlement Big Tobacco has to FUND them. Period.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #29 of 49
I don't smoke habitually, but I still think the ads are rediculous.

Politically, I think that any business should be allowed to let whomever they want do whatever they want in their establishment.

Smoking is disgusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back