Smelly Smoke...help??!!!!
May 8, 2020 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

paulybatz

Headphoneus Supremus
Got a pair of phones the other day
Smell like smoke...bad

I have them presently in a bag with charcoal, essential oils on Cotton and baking soda

Any other suggestions??

Or do I just return them?

May 8, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 9
I would return them. It’s going to be tough to get all of the smell out. I once got a pair that had the smell of spices...tried everything and it wouldn’t go away and eventually returned them. Best to always ask the seller if they Re a smoker or if there are any particular smell from the headphones.

May 9, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Trying air....now after bagging them for two days

I don’t think it’ll work...

Attachments

• ABE0342D-0E3F-4B5A-B105-EAB905E8C085.jpeg
    ABE0342D-0E3F-4B5A-B105-EAB905E8C085.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 9
Several years ago, I lent a pair of interconnect cables to a friend of a friend. The cables have a nylon braided sleeve. The guy was a heavy smoker. When I received the cables back from him, they reeked of cigarette smoke. I tried a lot of things to get rid of the smell. I wiped them down with Lysol wipes (several times). I put them in a plastic bag with scented dryer sheets after wiping them down with said sheets. I did this several times and kept the cables in the bag for weeks. Eventually the smell became unnoticeable after a few months. The problem you have is more difficult because the odor is most likely not only on the exterior but also inside the headphone. If you can return them for a full refund, that may be your best option. If not, I think you would have to disassemble the headphone to clean and deordorize the internal parts of the headphone. I hope you can find a solution that works out.

May 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Yea. That’s what I think
Are you ok with potpourri smells? I wonder if possible to put it inside a bag with potpourri and change the smell? Or even those car/room scent stuff would work as well. Smoke residue is likely inside various parts as well. Tiny particles that got attached to the headphones over time.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Leave them out in direct sunlight all day. You'll probably also need to replace the earpads, they'll really hold odors

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 9
An old thread but here is my wife's remedy for ukulele halitosis or ukitosis. I bought a cheap Craig's List uke as a present for someone. It was from a smoker's house. I tried shaking rice around inside the case which didn't seem to do anything. She suggested a cotton ball with eucalyptus and lavender essential oils dripped onto them. The cigarette smell is gone and the eucalyptus oil beat out the lavender odor. The uke will probably help clear the sinuses if you have a mild cold or allergies.

I sent them back. Nothing worked that I tried and it was unbearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back