Smelly Shure SE215
May 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

subwoofer

Head-Fier
I have just got a pair of SE215 IEMs. Very happy with the sound, but finding them very difficult to use thanks to a very very strong plastic smell that I assume is coming from the cables. I have let them air for two weeks now, but the smell is still very strong and makes me feel unwell. They are the clear version.

Has anyone noticed this? Are the black cables better or the same? Shure are not helping at all.

Are there non-Shure replacement cables for the SE215 that use a different material?

May 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 5
I have just got a pair of SE215 IEMs. Very happy with the sound, but finding them very difficult to use thanks to a very very strong plastic smell that I assume is coming from the cables. I have let them air for two weeks now, but the smell is still very strong and makes me feel unwell. They are the clear version.

Has anyone noticed this? Are the black cables better or the same? Shure are not helping at all.

Are there non-Shure replacement cables for the SE215 that use a different material?
Any cable with MMCX connectors should work.

May 13, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 5
Still interested for anyone else's feedback.

I have bought a set of replacement cables branded Yin yoo from Amazon, and these are both lighter, have only the slightest of smell if I really try to find one and actually sound better. So win win on that, but shame on Shure for not being interested in finding an answer or offering anything other than seeing if the merchant would accept a return.

May 15, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 5
I don’t have those Shure iems but I’ve had cables that stink before. It’s usually the clear insulation silver cables. They smelled like burnt hair and plastic. I used some rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth to rub it down. Helps a bit but still takes a month or so to clear up completely. It does dissipate eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back