SMD Soldering
Sep 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CodeToad

100+ Head-Fier
I broke down and bought a hot air machine. Did a mini3 yesterday and it looks good. I could use some pointers though, from people who've done this a lot.

Good paste to use? How much to put on? Setting for temp and air? etc.

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the links rembrandt. I bought some stuff from a guy on ebay so I really don't know for sure what it is. I am assuming it is what he says it is.

The worst problem I have is getting the right amount of solder on the pads. Too little and the joint suffers, too much and it's a freaking mess.

I've watched quite a few videos and I never noticed anyone having problems with the air blowing the part around. Even if I turn the air down to a whisper it still moves the part. Is the paste too runny?

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 13
The only thing you need a hot air station for is general desoldering of smd's and soldering on BGA parts. If you are soldering by hand then just use an iron and regular solder and plenty of flux.

The mini3 only has 2 SOIC's and they are absolutely massive in the SMD realm, you should have no problems at all doing them by hand. If you get any solder bridges just put more flux on there and then put the iron across all the pins and wipe outwards, it will fix it up all the joints and having them look like a machine soldered them

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing you need a hot air station for is general desoldering of smd's and soldering on BGA parts. If you are soldering by hand then just use an iron and regular solder and plenty of flux.

Yeah, I've figured that out. I just can't see how having little solder dinkelberries blowing out around the board is a good thing. I spend more time cleaning that crap up than it's worth.

It sure is a must have for desoldering chips though.

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've figured that out. I just can't see how having little solder dinkelberries blowing out around the board is a good thing. I spend more time cleaning that crap up than it's worth.

It sure is a must have for desoldering chips though.

The machine certainly won't go to waste, we have them at work and it makes me wish I had one at home now

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read that a "tacky-flux" may be the answer as it helps hold the part.

That seems like the problem to me. In all the videos I've seen there doesn't seem to be any "wind" problem. It's probably an ID-10T problem; I'll just keep plugging away at it. It isn't a priority as I can solder by hand now that I have a scope to see with.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 13
Does it have adjustable airflow? The hot air machine, not the ID-10T.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 13
It's one of these:

AOYUE 852A++

I set the temp at 350C and even if I turn the air down to a whisper it still blows little solder balls all over. I'm wondering if the solder I have just plains "blows".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back