Smashing Pumpkins - Gish and Siamese Dream 2011 remasters
Nov 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 12
Listening to Siamese Dream now.  Louder than the original but with SD that's a good thing compared to some other re-issues.  Sounds great.  This is on first go through, on HD650s.  I've always loved the mellow sound of Siamese Dream and Melancholy, this keeps the same vibe just a little more in your face.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 12
Louder than the original?  Sweet, a stocking stuffer for me.  I don't why a lot of the 80's and early 90's albums seem to sound a little soft and faint, volume wise.  For me, an amp is a must listening to popular genres from these eras.  Anyone else have the same sentiment?

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Louder than the original?  Sweet, a stocking stuffer for me.  I don't why a lot of the 80's and early 90's albums seem to sound a little soft and faint, volume wise.  For me, an amp is a must listening to popular genres from these eras.  Anyone else have the same sentiment?

No. You have a volume knob to adjust loudness, why would you need the music compressed to get it louder?

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 12
You're not getting my point.  Listen to a modern Jazz album for example at a specific pot/volume level.  Now, put in the original Siamese Dream album at the same pot level as before.  The latter will sound more quiet. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Siamese Dream, remastered, really??

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Man, it's about time. I remember ripping Mellon Collie onto my Macbook and listening to it on my "good" system and being pretty disappointed. It sounds not only quiet but the dynamics are flat and there is little instrument separation making it sound 2D and somewhat muddy.

According to Paste we're in for more remasters:

"In 2012, EMI plans to reissue Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness , The Aeroplane Flies High and Adore, with Machina/The Machines of God and Machina II: The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music to be released as one package in 2013."

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 12
I always thought Gish (which imho is better than Siamese Dream) sounded really good so I have no desire for the remastered version.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I always thought Gish (which imho is better than Siamese Dream) sounded really good so I have no desire for the remastered version.

I agree. Gish has always been a great-sounding record, and my favourite Pumpkins.

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back