Smartphone with great audio via 3.5mm out?
Jul 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BIKeINSTEIN

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers,
I am new to head-fi. :)
Prefer headphones over IEMs but an IEM (with mic) makes life livable when one cant use headphones, say during work hours? :p

I am looking at buying a new phone for use as an audio source primarily.
  1. Has to offer great (and as neutral as possible) audio quality via 3.5mm out, out-of-the-box
  2. Should have enough volume/driving power as is, without requiring an additional amp. A phone with another box banded to it is not too appealing at the moment. (Might consider getting one later or use an USB DAC maybe. By then, it might be time for a new phone maybe)
  3. Doesn't matter much if Android/WP8 but prefer Android.
  4. Price is not a big issue. If there's something available for less, superb. If there is something pricier for minimal gain, depends on other features. If there is something significantly better for more, worth considering it definitely is.
  5. Other notes: Want to avoid SAMOLED but Galaxy S3 might be one of main the contenders, so not stressing much on that.

Please help. 
size]

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 11
I prefer the iPhone 4s over the other iPhones for audio, including the i5.

As far as the best.. probably the S3 is your choice.. since they use good ol Wolfson DACs.

HTC One isn't a bad choice.. just turn off Beats Audio.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 11
JVC HA-S500 folding headphone, sells for under $60
(does not come with a mic)

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 11
@RochRx7
Thank you.

Yes, I too have considered getting an iPhone 4S.
From whatever little i could understand from gsmarena reviews, the 4S is definitely one of the best, if not the best and better than the 5 too.
It also offers maximus volume with most undemanding HPs/IEMs i think.

I have to use 2 phones and that's why checking if there is something as good or better from the Android or WP8 camps.

2 suggestions i have till now from a few friends are the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Oppo Find 5
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/oppo_find_5-5161.php

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 11
I reccomend the LG/Google Nexus 4 too.
Qualcomm SnapDragon integrated DAC has been improved a lot, and with a good media player you can squeeze it to recieve great audio performaces, of course you need to pair it with a good pair of headphones ora IEMs.
I personally like the Shure SE215, I've bought them for ~100€ on Amazon.it.
You can get the 16GB version for under 350€ here in Italy, but the price is even lower in other countries, and of course you'll get a wonderful 720p LCD IPS LG panel (LG makes the iPhone's retina display), a stunning Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro and a beautiful design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back