smartphone max volume output
Jan 23, 2019 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

markito331

New Head-Fier
hi, i'm a classical music listener, wich is recorded very quietly, and i had to buy an amp for my Senhheiser HD 598 SR for desktop usage, even though i wouldn't need it for other genres listening.

i've just bought a pair of 1more triple drivers, and considering should be ok with smartphones usage, sometimes i'd like to have a little more volume.

i don't want to expend money on an amp, and also it is another dispositive you have to travel with.

i'm using a volume booster android app, do anyone know how do these kind of apps work?

would be rooting the smartphone a good idea for going beyond the manufacturer's volume output limits?

i listen music through tidal streaming service. the 1more are not the problem, i have the same problem with another 3 pair of iems and the 598's included.

thx

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 4
hi, i'm a classical music listener, wich is recorded very quietly, and i had to buy an amp for my Senhheiser HD 598 SR for desktop usage, even though i wouldn't need it for other genres listening.

i've just bought a pair of 1more triple drivers, and considering should be ok with smartphones usage, sometimes i'd like to have a little more volume.

i don't want to expend money on an amp, and also it is another dispositive you have to travel with.

i'm using a volume booster android app, do anyone know how do these kind of apps work?

Some such apps just increase the gain on the recording. If that specific app you're using does this, think of it as on the fly remastering that basically drafts the conscientious objectors like classical music recordings to fight the Loudness War. Like...they'd come out the other end and they'd be told they were Elves once, taken by the Dark Powers, mutilated, ruined, a terrible form of life...perfected! Who do they serve? TOMMY MOTTOLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

would be rooting the smartphone a good idea for going beyond the manufacturer's volume output limits?

IF the problem is that the firmware is imposing such a limit, either by manufacturers who want a phone to measure well in battery reviews by/for non-audiophiles and provide no alternative mode (unlike LG's "high impedance" mode, which has a lot less to do with impedance but whatever) or concocted by Nanny State politicians who don't understand how gain, sensitivity, and personal choice and LIBERTY!!! ('MURRICA!) all work, then sure. If there's a risk to it, that's up to the phone's owner.

That said, if you're getting it loud enough with volume booster, I'd much rather use that. Better draft a few orcs just on the phone than risk ending up with a brick, unless you can use a rooting procedure that has very low risk of that.

i listen music through tidal streaming service. the 1more are not the problem, i have the same problem with another 3 pair of iems and the 598's included.

Outside of LG Vxx I wouldn't put much trust in expecting the phone to do better on the HD598SR being driven better, that is, louder but without much distortion and noise vs a portable amp.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 4
@ProtegeManiac,

Hmm...too much LOTR again, right? Also must be one of those days for you too... :p

Anyway, hope you have a great day !

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 4
@ProtegeManiac,

Hmm...too much LOTR again, right? Also must be one of those days for you too... :p

Anyway, hope you have a great day !

It's always a great day when I stream even just the Battle of the Hornburg or Pelennor Fields....and that's despite me going, "wow the CGI Balrog looks like crap in 201x" or "why the hell did Five Armies get its own movie?! next decade this needs to be a TV series so Pelennor Fields can be its own episode, like Blackwater or Battle of the Bastards!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back