Smart phone audio quality? Evo, Nexus, etc...
May 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Riggaberto

100+ Head-Fier
Wondering if anyone has feedback on built in smart phone audio quality, whether it's specific devices or quality of brand components in general. My previous iPhone 4 was stolen so I want to make sure my next device is decent sound quality wise. 

Right now I'm considering the HTC Evo 4G LTE, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and the Samsung Galaxy S III when it comes out.  Loved my iPhone but I can't wait 6 months for the 5 so thinking of going android (even if it's crap!)

I'm going to be traveling more and more for work so my mobile music consumption will increase. 

Cheers

May 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 9
I just purchased an HTC One X (LTE version) which should be comparable to the Evo. Sound quality seems excellent to me, although there is slight audible noise (hiss) in near-silent passages when using sensitive IEMs. I've been comparing to an older Galaxy Nexus S that has very good audio output, especially when using a program called Voodoo Sound.

In general, the iPhone 4 and 4S have excellent sound quality. In the Android world, your best bet will probably be the Galaxy S III. It is known that it uses high quality audio components (notably a Wolfson DAC that is similar to the one in the Nexus S) and it will also support Voodoo Sound which can further tweak the audio output for maximum quality (try Googling it for more information).

May 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks a lot crab, exactly the the kind of info I'm looking for. 

I'm torn on the GS3 though, as it has a pen tile display and may appear more pixelated than other displays, though others say the PPI is dense enough to not notice. Ideally I'd wait and see but I'm stuck with a iPhone 3GS right now that is absolutely brutally slow.

May 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 9
 look into another iphone as I recall at least some of them have low output impedance and some of the best measured specs. I heard an iphone 4 it sounded great. Also look into phones with Wolfson DAC like the samsung galaxy s phone's. I think I read the Galaxy S III has wolfson. I spent ages looking for audio quality phones and that sums it up pretty well :) With the Wolfson you can use "voodoo sound" :wink: That's what I have I ended up settling on a slightly older but nice Galaxy S Infuse, nice big screen too!

May 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

I'm torn on the GS3 though, as it has a pen tile display and may appear more pixelated than other displays, though others say the PPI is dense enough to not notice. Ideally I'd wait and see but I'm stuck with a iPhone 3GS right now that is absolutely brutally slow.

I was also torn between the One X and GS3 for the same reasons.The GS3 has better audio (likely) and a better camera, the One X has a nicer design and a better screen. If you're concerned about the PenTile display, you can check out a Galaxy Nexus which should be very similar (AMOLED, PenTile, same resolution, almost same size).

Before the One X I had two Nexus phones that both had PenTile and it did bother me somewhat, especially when displaying small text. The only time I examined a Galaxy Nexus, my impression was that PenTile was no longer a concern at such a high PPI - I couldn't see any fuzziness at all. However, I haven't compared one side by side with the One X.

In my case I needed a replacement now, so I went with the One X. Very happy with it overall.

May 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 9
I use a Galaxy SII, and I find the audio quality quite good, as long as you use a different app than the included one for music playback.  The included app has compression sounds, like when the bass hits, it mutes the highs, really annoying and gives me a headache.  I didn't research before buying my new phone, so I'm kind of making due with what I have.  But the Yamaha DAC sounds pretty good with a music app called "Poweramp".  It's got an easily adjustable EQ, which I haven't played with too much, and tone controls.  Good UI and a smooth interface.  The compression artifacts that I found with the original music app are gone with this one.  It's a clean signal that drives my AT ATH-CKS77's clearly without any noticable loss in signal.  I purchased a Sansa Clip+ before discovering Poweramp, and in an A/B comparison, I feel the two sound pretty much identical.  I'm happy with my phone, not sure of the hate for the SII here, I think most of it is due to using the included music player, which I agree is garbage.  But for $5, you can really make the SII sing.

May 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 9
Just found this thread about the Wolfson in the GS3 if anyone else has missed it as well, but also covers a lot more info. http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/225

Posted there too but I tweeted the Voodoo developer and he said he's only working on the quad core chipset...which I understand we are NOT getting in the US.

https://twitter.com/supercurio/status/206759934891790336

May 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Techradar review says it's as sharp as the iphone 4s, with a bigger screen :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back