Smallest Very High Quality DAP? (Maybe Kann Max?)
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ipaddy

human bean
Yes, we have lots of very high end DAPs, ranging from SP3000, to Cayins, and I won't even mention the huge M17.

But for smaller, if one wants as good as one can get subject to size, what is the current best *small* (although ok if heavy) DAP?

I am thinking maybe the Kann Max? Anyone else have thoughts for other players?

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 24
High Quality has no definition. Would you say the Shanling M0 Pro is high quality?

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 24
High Quality has no definition. Would you say the Shanling M0 Pro is high quality?
Absolutely. However, as one goes up the price scale, there is a certain loose correlation between price and quality.

No one will compare the M0 Pro to an SP3000 and say that they are approximately the same. And I am sure that the Kann Max is better than the M0 Pro.

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 24
Absolutely. However, as one goes up the price scale, there is a certain loose correlation between price and quality.

No one will compare the M0 Pro to an SP3000 and say that they are approximately the same. And I am sure that the Kann Max is better than the M0 Pro.

Undoubtedly. The M0 Pro is about as small as they come, though. If android is a requirement, then the Shanling M3 Ultra is the smallest and lightest android DAP yet. Could be considered "entry level." No one would say it it can compete in technical prowess with the A&futura SE300. But if size is the primary consideration it will be "good enough."

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 24
Undoubtedly. The M0 Pro is about as small as they come, though. If android is a requirement, then the Shanling M3 Ultra is the smallest and lightest android DAP yet. Could be considered "entry level." No one would say it it can compete in technical prowess with the A&futura SE300. But if size is the primary consideration it will be "good enough."
You are right.

It would be “good enough.”

But let’s say we slide the size/quality pointer towards larger sizes, with say Kann Max as a size limit.

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 24
You are right.

It would be “good enough.”

But let’s say we slide the size/quality pointer towards larger sizes, with say Kann Max as a size limit.

The new Shanling M9 Plus. Jeeze, I'm starting to look like a Shanling fanboi... But they do make excellent DAPs, and it's hard to find a more svelte competitor to their offerings in any given price bracket.

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 24
Honestly all of the pocketable ones like Sony Zx707, Hiby R6 Pro II, FiiO M15s etc. are good.
I would say it is a matter of preference of mainly sound signature (flat, warm, bright etc.) and features.

For Software, I can say Hiby makes one of the best.
DAPs I would avoid (since you said small size) are the flagship ones like SP3000, RS8, DX320, M9 Plus, WM1A. They are all huge and heavy.
"Objects in pictures are bigger than they appear" !

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 24
Honestly all of the pocketable ones like Sony Zx707, Hiby R6 Pro II, FiiO M15s etc. are good.
I would say it is a matter of preference of mainly sound signature (flat, warm, bright etc.) and features.

For Software, I can say Hiby makes one of the best.
DAPs I would avoid (since you said small size) are the flagship ones like SP3000, RS8, DX320, M9 Plus, WM1A. They are all huge and heavy.
"Objects in pictures are bigger than they appear" !
The 707 is slow as molasses, and much bigger than the Kann Max. The Hiby is much cheaper, probably not as good. And the M15s, all that much better than the original M15?

Jun 20, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 24
The 707 is slow as molasses, and much bigger than the Kann Max. The Hiby is much cheaper, probably not as good. And the M15s, all that much better than the original M15?

dimensions in mm:

ZX707: 72.5 x 132.3 x 16.9
KANN Max: 68.3 x 117 x 23.6
R6 Pro: 75.2 x 147.45 x 15
M15s: 80 x 140 x 18.9

ZX707 is the smallest among the four, even if you ignore the depth it is still the second smallest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back