Smallest usb DAC that can support bit perfect 24bit and all sampling frequencies?
Apr 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kantana

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to find the smallest USB dac that will support 24/44, 24/48, 24/88, 24/96, 24/176 and 24/192 bit perfect.  I was looking at the iBasso D7 but they told me it didn't support the 24/176.  I want the smallest one and will use USB in only and hesdphone out mainly.  Any recommendations?

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 5
It would depend on how the file was encoded to begin with but since the headphone out from my laptop is too noisy any external dac would be better.  Then again  SACD sounds better than normal CD so those extra bits must be good for something, maybe I can't quantify the difference but my guess is 24/176 is going to sound better than 16/44 :)

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Not sure if something portable supports all these.

May 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 5
I went to test out the iBasso D7 using a AMD E350 netbook but it was causing heavy static, we tried 2 new units and the same.  When the D7 was connected to a Core2Duo notebook there were no issues.  Then my hifi broke down so I was left with needing a DAC and an amp for my speakers.  Started looking a bit higher and found the Teac A-H01 which supports all the frequencies and has USB/SPDIF/co axial and line in with B&O Ice Power amps for speakers.
The demo unit I tested with my DX100 using SPDIF and it sounded really good with my high res flacs so I bought one.  Got home with the unit and it sounded really coarse and rough.  I ran it in for the next 4 hours and it's starting to open up.  Does burn in also happen for this type of unit?  Anyway I've tested it out with my flacs @16/44, 24/96, 24/176 and 24/192 and they all work without missing a bit.  CPU utilization was also low at about 3-7%, this was on a sandybridge quad core cpu.
Overall I am quite pleased with my purchase and hoping the sound will further improve as it burns in more.  Can I leave it on all the time even when not used as there's no power button on the remote or will it use a lot of power and overheat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back