Smallest portable HP amp?
Aug 1, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #16 of 25
I'll have to lend Magicthyse a hand of support here and agree with him. I haven't seen a single portable headphone amp to date that looks good. The Porta Corda, Altoid/Pactec/Serpac, Airhead, none of them do. I'm not saying they're ugly, but they are certainly geeky, and certainly underwhelming. The Grado RA-1 looks good, but only when sitting on a desk (I can't imagine carrying that thing around as a portable unit). I'm disappointed by the utter dearth of sleek looking portable amps. Doesn't anyone have enough artistic sensibility and taste to design an amp that's looks as cool as a, let's say, SlimX remote, or a MD (sans the LCD's, of course)?

Aug 1, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent You're doomed to endless fashion-driven consumerism.

well put. search on the headwize projects section if you want to find some other configurations of amps.. and the porta corda is very professional looking, the faceplate is aluminum and very gorgeously constructed.

i say get one and take it out of the case then paint it silver to match your v700djs.. heh

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #18 of 25
I think looks for a portable amp is pretty pointless, given they spend most of their time in some sort of bag anyways. I could understand the need for a headphone or portable player looking fancy, but not a portable amp.

Aug 2, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #19 of 25
You could always go with a HeadRoom Supreme if you want a portable amp that looks professional. Hey, you'll even be getting a better-sounding amp for the price of the good looks.

Really though -- a headphone amplifier is a pretty silly thing. It's going to look silly toting one around regardless. ...

... But you did give me a good idea. I'm taking my next portable amp to an upholsterer's and having them cover it in alligator skin. That'll be hot.

kerelybonto

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
You could always go with a HeadRoom Supreme if you want a portable amp that looks professional. Hey, you'll even be getting a better-sounding amp for the price of the good looks.

Really though -- a headphone amplifier is a pretty silly thing. It's going to look silly toting one around regardless. ...

How big is it?

And a phone is a pretty silly thing. It used to look very silly toting one around. Now look at them.

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 25
DIY doesn't have to be ugly! It's just that DIYers are often lazy, that's all.

For example, have you seen the works of Sijosae? Bloody amazing, IMHO. And his fit into 9V batteries. Interesting question to be asked on the street - "why are you plugging your headphones into a battery? Won't that fry them?"

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #23 of 25
eric
Post some links of that boy's amps--you DIYers worship the man, I'm starting to think he's a myth.

Aug 2, 2002 at 9:56 AM Post #25 of 25
whoa. impressive packing-in there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back