Smallest Portable Amp
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ihrm

Head-Fier
I cracked the screen on my iPod Touch a few months ago and its starting to catch up with it. It was cracked right above the headphone jack and I'm assuming things got loose and now the left channel doesn't always work. I have to apply pressure on the headphone jack to get both channels. So my idea was to find the smallest portable amp and use it with a LOD. Sound quality isn't a huge deal, I just want to listen to my music in both ears! Not sure how much I want to spend right now but nothing ridiculous. Maybe try to keep it under $50? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

EDIT: I clicked wrong section haha. Is there anyway i can move this or could someone move it for me?

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 16
I wouldn't waste the money on a FiiO, I bought one to see what it was all about and I'm not impressed. I'd go with Olli's advice and build a CMOY, or just get another ipod. If you check out ifixit.com, you can find how to take your ipod apart, then use ebay to find cheap replacement parts.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaclebeau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't waste the money on a FiiO, I bought one to see what it was all about and I'm not impressed. I'd go with Olli's advice and build a CMOY, or just get another ipod. If you check out ifixit.com, you can find how to take your ipod apart, then use ebay to find cheap replacement parts.

Well I was looking at the E1 but the LOD cable is so long i wouldn't be able to put that in my pocket. Then a CMOY amp would be even bigger. But again sound quality isn't a huge deal, I just want to listen to it. It is only an iPod. And opening it up isn't really a good option as the screen is broken and I dont have those kind of skills :/ Guess I might have to buy a new iPod and skip out on those Grados ;_;

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihrm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I was looking at the E1 but the LOD cable is so long i wouldn't be able to put that in my pocket. Then a CMOY amp would be even bigger. But again sound quality isn't a huge deal, I just want to listen to it. It is only an iPod. And opening it up isn't really a good option as the screen is broken and I dont have those kind of skills :/ Guess I might have to buy a new iPod and skip out on those Grados ;_;

The ifixit.com tutorials are actually very thorough, anyone with opposable digits and a little patience can get into most iPods. They sell all the necessary tools, but their repair parts are overpriced. I've taken apart and repaired or modified evey ipod I've owned, with the exception of my 160gb classic, because it's still new. If you're planning on replacing it anyway, I suggest you at least attempt a DIY repair. It's quite gratifying to know that you a) can learn a new skill, b) can fix your own gear, and c) caused there to be one less piece of electronic trash in a landfill.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 16
Fiio's are great for the money. An E5 is the size of the clip-on shuffles and can be velcroed or strapped to the Touch in an unobtrusive way and will sound better than the headphone out. You could also shorten the E1's cable (it is long so the inline volume control is accessible).

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 16
For some reason, when I hear small, I always think of Sijosae's work.

TDA1308-6.jpg

CMOY-4d.jpg

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fiio's are great for the money. An E5 is the size of the clip-on shuffles and can be velcroed or strapped to the Touch in an unobtrusive way and will sound better than the headphone out. You could also shorten the E1's cable (it is long so the inline volume control is accessible).

I think I might go for the E1 and shorten the cable. Would I be able to save the original dock connector?

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I think I might go for the E1 and shorten the cable. Would I be able to save the original dock connector?

Sure, just cut however much you want out of the middle (while leaving some cable on both sides), then strip the inner wires of the cable and connect them to the corresponding wire on the other side. Just make sure not to get the wires mixed up. And heatshrink all the connections so they don't short.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 16
Who is this Sijosae and are those DIY projects that have been documented?

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, just cut however much you want out of the middle (while leaving some cable on both sides), then strip the inner wires of the cable and connect them to the corresponding wire on the other side. Just make sure not to get the wires mixed up. And heatshrink all the connections so they don't short.

I always use electrical tape. Easily replaceable and easier and quicker than heatshrinking. I always remember sitting with a haridryer after I broke my paintstripper and preying for it to work
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How would i go about attaching them xD Sorry if that's a stupid question but I've never done this before.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyArea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always use electrical tape. Easily replaceable and easier and quicker than heatshrinking. I always remember sitting with a haridryer after I broke my paintstripper and preying for it to work
smily_headphones1.gif

Electrical tape isn't very secure for a cable meant to be used often (especially portable). It makes everything sticky and isn't as attractive as heatshrink, but either will work fine electrically.

Quote:

How would i go about attaching them xD

Solder. Cut however much you want out of the middle and you will end up with the dock connector with some cable on one side and the amp with some cable on the other. Strip each wire inside that cable (there's probably 3) on both cut sides. Solder each wire to the corresponding wire on the other side. Cover each solder joint with heatshrink because you don't want them to short. If you don't have any experience soldering, check out Tangent's tutorials. Of course, you could also just leave the cable as is and live with the extra length, if you don't want a heatshrinked bulge in the middle.

Quote:

Sorry if that's a stupid question but I've never done this before.

There aren't any stupid questions - all of us start somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back