Smallest IEM housings? Looking for tiny ones to fit in motorcycle helmet.
Aug 6, 2015 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

gohanssjn

100+ Head-Fier
So, I have a pair of Shure SE 310s that are too big in my motorcycle helmet. Ideally, I'd want something that has an even smaller housing so that 1. the helmet slips on and off easily with them inserted; and 2. They don't press into the side of the helmet when wearing them.

Sound quality isn't too important. As long as they block the wind I won't have them up too loud anyways.

And yes, its legal in NC :)

Thanks!

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 16
The smallest IEM I know of is Trinity Hyperion.

Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760277/introducing-trinity-audio-engineering

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 16

Pretty sure that's the Trinity Delta in that picture there mate, much bigger than Hyperion.

Take a picture of the Hyperion. next to the Flare (if you can)

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 16

Pretty sure that's the Trinity Delta in that picture there mate, much bigger than Hyperion.

I don't have the Hyperion (yet). As I wrote, R2A is still smaller than Hyperion going by their spec.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 16
Back in the days of cassette tape Walkman's, I used to have one on all of my bikes.  Between the wind and engine noise and the need to hear street sounds (sirens, etc.)....if I still had a bike, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on good iem's.

In fact, back in the day what I found to work best was an earbud made by Sony called 'Fontopid's.  To be honest, they were dead ringers for the earbuds that Apple would later bundle with the first generation iPods.  My guess is they came from the same Taiwanese factory.   

Try a cheapie pair of Apples or the like. You might find they'll work the best for you.

....sT

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 16

Correct H2, here are the Hyperion's:wink:

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 16
A few times the entire housing has slid directly into my ear canal. The IEM brave enough to venture into the unknown! Might find a lost and forgotten Etymotic ER4S foam tip in there somewhere..

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 16
A few times the entire housing has slid directly into my ear canal. The IEM brave enough to venture into the unknown! Might find a lost and forgotten Etymotic ER4S foam tip in there somewhere..

LOL, that is hilarious H2O! I really get deep insertion with the Hyperion's as a matter a fact when extracting them sometimes (no make that most time) I have to open my mouth wide like I'm doing ciem impressions to get them loose enough to get them out
eek.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 16
The Klipsch X10's are the most minimalistic IEM's I've used.

I'm currently using Audiofly IEMs, which are low profile for a multi-drive IEM.

It might also be a matter of cables hanging straight down versus looped around the top of the ears (respectively). I'm not sure which works best going in and out of a helmet.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 16
How come no one ask Wokei ....me ride a bike all the time ? ......am I to be forgotten!

My weapon of choice is Soundmagic PL30 and the infamous Ivery IS-1.....muahahahahahaaa

Wink wink ...!

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 16
  The Klipsch X10's are the most minimalistic IEM's I've used.

I'm currently using Audiofly IEMs, which are low profile for a multi-drive IEM.

It might also be a matter of cables hanging straight down versus looped around the top of the ears (respectively). I'm not sure which works best going in and out of a helmet.

Good call on the X10's Hardbop, my X7's are right there with the little Hyperion's
biggrin.gif

Wokei, Wokei, Wokei "I love You Man"
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 16
So, I have a pair of Shure SE 310s that are too big in my motorcycle helmet. Ideally, I'd want something that has an even smaller housing so that 1. the helmet slips on and off easily with them inserted; and 2. They don't press into the side of the helmet when wearing them.

Sound quality isn't too important. As long as they block the wind I won't have them up too loud anyways.

And yes, its legal in NC
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

If you don't mind customs then inearz, florida used to do a motorcycle specific model.  Shoot them an email if interested, seems they are re-doing the site atm.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 16
Well, I got my SE310 into the helmet today.

Looking at the actual pics of the SE215 on Amazon, it looks like they might actually angle the port at a bit closer to a right angle so the body of the IEM doesn't stick out as much.  Maybe I should try a pair of SE215 and a little bluetooth receiver?

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #15 of 16

And yes, its legal in NC
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

W4's seat surprisingly flush with the ear concha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back