Smallest Circumaural?
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dissolve

New Head-Fier
So I know this is a rather odd request, but what are the smallest circumaural, closed headphones for under ~$100 that are worth buying? I know, by nature, these are going to big, but there definitely are some that are way bigger than others. I just bought the JVC ha-rx700 (similar in size as the ath-a700 based on the pics) as my first purchase of this type and they are HUGE. Well, much larger than I expected, and I would love some input on a smaller pair.

Barring the results of this thread, I may have some rx700's for sale...

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 16
Really? You mean these:

EQUATION AUDIO :: Beyond Equal

They look pretty big with a rather hefty weight. I know its a bad example, but anything around the size of the triports that aren't substantially overpriced? From the pictures, the D1001 looks about that size but obviously I'm pretty bad at judging photos. Thanks for your help!

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissolve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? You mean these:

EQUATION AUDIO :: Beyond Equal

They look pretty big with a rather hefty weight. I know its a bad example, but anything around the size of the triports that aren't substantially overpriced? From the pictures, the D1001 looks about that size but obviously I'm pretty bad at judging photos. Thanks for your help!

You're right. For some reason I was thinking the D1001 was supraural, so I didn't suggest it. I suggest the D1001, which has been selling recently for about $80 shipped.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 16
I had a lengthy debate with myself over the D1001 and the RX700, but in the end I couldn't quite justify the former at twice the cost. Is there any reason not to get the D1001? I listed to all types of music, so that doesn't really help. Any other, maybe cheaper, suggestions? If not, I'll have to return to my internal debate between these two. Thank you very much for your help so far.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 16
Well, it seems like I've already bought the larger than D1001 circumaural headphones. I'm really concerned with comfort which is why I aimed for circumaural instead of supraaural. So then does the D1001 fit right in between there? Small circumaural without being supra? If so, then I'll really have to convince myself to get them.

One concern I have with buying some that much more expensive is that I honestly and unfortunately don't hear too much of a difference between the rx700 and my creative ep-600 except for the significantly larger soundstage. After all the praise that the rx700 has received, I'm wondering if the headphones are not my bottleneck (very likely). But, I digress...from what you've said and from what I've read, I think I need to sell/return the rx700 and opt for the D1001.

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Well, it seems like I've already bought the larger than D1001 circumaural headphones. I'm really concerned with comfort which is why I aimed for circumaural instead of supraaural. So then does the D1001 fit right in between there? Small circumaural without being supra? If so, then I'll really have to convince myself to get them.

One concern I have with buying some that much more expensive is that I honestly and unfortunately don't hear too much of a difference between the rx700 and my creative ep-600 except for the significantly larger soundstage. After all the praise that the rx700 has received, I'm wondering if the headphones are not my bottleneck (very likely). But, I digress...from what you've said and from what I've read, I think I need to sell/return the rx700 and opt for the D1001.

The D1001 is widely considered to be very comfortable, and it is very light weight. I know of no smaller circumaural headphones for under $80. I'm not sure but the D1001 may fit on the ears of some people because it is small, but still very comfortable. And, the D1001 is probably more comfortable than a lot of supraural headphones for under $80. The thing is too, you may not hear much of a sound quality difference between your RX700 and the D1001. So, I'd say you may be taking an unwarranted risk with buying the D1001 (if expecting it to sound much better). Some headphones need an amp to show their stuff or a larger soundstage, and FWIR, that includes the D1001. Are you also wanting your inexpensive and comfortable headphones to have a large soundstage? If so, I'm not sure what that may be; maybe you'd like the PX100.

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 16
You definitely may be right: I probably would be taking a risk with the D1001. Honestly, my biggest priority is comfort, so a soundstage and increased sound quality above the ep-630 would be fantastic, but I really just want some comfortable headphones to wear for several hours at a time. That's what makes it hard to pay $80 for headphones (which I know isn't that much around here). But since I don't anticipate hearing much of a quality increase like I mentioned before, I'm not sure how to justify $80. I actually may have found a good match with the rx700, but they are truly very large. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet so I'll give them a few more days. I wish it were easier to try these before buying. Thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

You definitely may be right: I probably would be taking a risk with the D1001. Honestly, my biggest priority is comfort, so a soundstage and increased sound quality above the ep-630 would be fantastic, but I really just want some comfortable headphones to wear for several hours at a time. That's what makes it hard to pay $80 for headphones (which I know isn't that much around here). But since I don't anticipate hearing much of a quality increase like I mentioned before, I'm not sure how to justify $80. I actually may have found a good match with the rx700, but they are truly very large. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet so I'll give them a few more days. I wish it were easier to try these before buying. Thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

You're welcome. If you can get used to the size of the RX700, your next best inexpensive upgrade would be a Fiio amp, the E3 or the E5 when it comes out.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 16
the smallest Circumaural's i have are the Sony MDR-D777LP. nice comfortable and they sound o.k. but no where near as good as some of the aforementioned headphones.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the smallest Circumaural's i have are the Sony MDR-D777LP. nice comfortable and they sound o.k. but no where near as good as some of the aforementioned headphones.

Those look almost exactly what I'm searching for. I can definitely justify $45 on amazon; that's terrific. Are they comfortable enough for several hours of use at a time?

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 16
So after spending this afternoon researching, I think I'd go for the D1001 in the >$60 range. Are there any other suggestions under $60? It's going to be tough to make the D1001 happen so some other, cheaper ideas would be wonderful. The D777LP does look promising so I'll have to spend some more time reading about those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back