smallest 3.5 to 3.5
May 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MoAv

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a plug without a cable, solid metal, that would connect my phone, HTC HD2 to my Fiio E5. It should be quite durable so it can hold it in place without detaching.

Thanks.

May 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 10
I honestly thought that it's a common plug among the headfi community and there's a supplier for those plugs.  I'd appreciate if you could tel me who could make one for me.

May 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 10
AFAIK, they always come with a cable not a single hard connector.  Why would you want that anyway?  It'll make a long tall awkward shape to carry and it will put a lot of strain on the jacks.  If you really wanted that it'd probably be best to make it yourself.  Short of that I don't think you'll find one.

May 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 10
 Simply because it would make the amp and the player as one piece unlike dangling amp. If the connector would be one solid metal I don't see how it wouldn't support the 10 grams Fiio. Making one as a novice solderer sound impossible for the strength it needs on the joints.

May 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 10
You mean you want like a U joint?  I was envisioning more of a | joint.  The problem with finding one like that is you'd need something specifically made for that DAP and amp.  Amps and DAPs have jacks in different places so they couldn't really make a one size fits all and expect it to line up correctly with more than one model of amp and DAP.  Also the connector itself would be able to support the Filo, but the jack of the DAP probably wouldn't hold up very well to the force exerted on it.  Realize that due to mechanical advantage the force inside the jack will be much more than .1N weight of the Filo. Though less attractive visually, a rubber band or velcro should be used.

May 29, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 10
 Thank you for your long explanation but your first assumption was the one I was hoping for. A very short one piece straight line jack.
 Looking for a builder.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm not sure if it's possible to DIY one without anything in between. A machined one may be possible, but I guess no one makes them if you couldn't find one. The best I can imagine making myself would still probably have about a cm between the two sides just because of the connectors you solder onto. And then the only reasonable way I can think of right now to cover it up would probably be using hot glue and then heatshrink over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back