smaller, but better or equal SQ to rio Karma?
Jan 18, 2009 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Shauntell47

100+ Head-Fier
hi, was wondering if it's worth it to keep my rio karma since i could sell it to a friend if i wanted to....

when i'm talking about better or equal SQ, i mean from the Rio Karma's lineout... btw i don't use EQ...

i was looking at some Creative Zen Micro, which are going for about 50$ on ebay and heard they sounded good...

Can anybody give me more input on the zen micro, i thought i read it worked with a mac...

planning on using it amped...

open to any other suggestions... min. 4gb

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 12
keep the karma

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 12
how does the karma compare to your other players, faichiu?
i'm talking amped of course...

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 12
let me ask you a question, which one of the two sound better to your ears, the iAudio 7 or the Rio Karma? If you don't notice any difference, then you might as well sell the rio karma.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 12
yes, i do indeed... i've been testing the 2 against each other several times amped with Head-Direct RE1, and have noticed the Karma's bigger soundstage and bass quantity.... but it's not as though my music sounds totally different with my karma, just a bit fuller...

(i'm at a stage where i've got myself thinking i've bought a bit too many treats... i'm definitely keeping my portable gear, but may be getting rid of my Goldring DR150s and Headstage Lyrix amp....)

the thing is, the only player in my possession which has a screen is the karma.... but it's not really portable...
i also have a 1g shuffle and iaudio 7, but with a broken screen...

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 12
unless you can get $120 or equivalent for the Rio Karma, I would keep it. It is perhaps the last thing in your possession you want to sell, but then again. It really comes down to your personal priorities. I don't think you'll find a player that can beat the Karma. The Cowon S9 might, but it will cost you $250+, so there is really no point in selling your Rio Karma if you will turn around a buy something more expensive that at the end might not even be able to perform at the level of the Rio Karma.

I say keep the Rio Karma, sell the iAudio7 and buy a leather case for the Rio Karma for portability.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 12
i would gladly sell the iaudio 7, i just don't think anyone would want a broken screened one...

ok, i guess you convinced me to keep my rio karma, i actually got it used for quite a lot cheaper... i guess you could also call it an antique in the mp3 world, in 10-15 years, it might be worth a ton...

i'm still interested by what you have to say, faichiu...

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 12
about the karma, even when I recommend it, there are a lot of things about it I dislike:

- Proprietary software to sync music
- External power supply to charge batteries
- 15 hour battery
- Hitachi microdrive that is noisy (you can replace with a 32 GB CF)
- form factor is annoying. It is too thick and looks cheap.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Karma's sound is specially tuned. The sound signature is very similar to oldy Sony Walkman which you will not be able to found on other DAP.

The EQ is unbeatable. It is very professional which no other DAP can match.

The only thing I don't like is karma does not have great details.

As for sansa clip, i will say its sound is good for its price.
I return sansa clip for refund after listening for two weeks...........I have no reason to keep it. Over-rated is what I have in mind.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the karma compare to your other players, faichiu?
i'm talking amped of course...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back