Small USB soundcard with optical in?
Mar 16, 2009 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have never bought a USB soundcard before and am not sure of what my options are. I am looking for something as small as possible with an optical input and 5.1 output (don't need any more I/O than that)

Would be GREAT if it ran off USB power.

Sound quality doesn't have to be 100%... but decent.

Cheap is also good
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for any suggestions

Paul

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 8
Sure, sorry

I am planning to build a low-power, low-cost pc for the living room based around the Item Atom-330 CPU and housed in a mini-itx case. It will be used for simple web surfing, word processing and running squeezecenter for my squeezebox. It will be hooked up via VGA to my LCD tv.

I would also like to be able to use the optical output on the TV to play the TV’s sound through the computer speakers. I already have some Logitech Z650’s that would do well as a small home theatre and would save buying a home theatre speaker system for the moment.

I don’t think the mini-itx cases have room for a PCI sound card do they?

Thanks for your help
Paul

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 8
I'd caution you against use of the Atom, as it will struggle with HD content (if that was a goal), compared to something like Pentium E or one of the low power Athlon64's

I would suggest a mini-ATX solution (or ATX Media Centre (its a form factor style, weirdly enough, basically "desktop")), and then a soundcard is no problem (and will gladly do all that you've asked for)

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't want to use the PC as a media device. Just to stream the audio from the TV to the speakers.

How much bigger is mini-atx vs mini-itx

Thanks
Paul

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to use the PC as a media device. Just to stream the audio from the TV to the speakers.

How much bigger is mini-atx vs mini-itx

Thanks
Paul

Mini-ATX in a desktop form factor is fairly small, ATX in a desktop form factor is a proper 19" unit (just like your set-top box, reciever, etc)

if you're just going from the TV to the speakers, why not just make that connection? (either with the STB or the TV, and if you have no STB, why not get one from your service provider? (usually they're free with service) its cheaper than an underperforming ITX box)

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 8
The PC is being built regardless for word processing, calendar application,internet and slimcenter use in the lounge. I thought it would be easier to connect the TV's optical connection to it and have one set of speakers for PC and TV than the other way around.

Paul

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PC is being built regardless for word processing, calendar application,internet and slimcenter use in the lounge. I thought it would be easier to connect the TV's optical connection to it and have one set of speakers for PC and TV than the other way around.

Paul

if you're using a reciever or set of speakers with a decoder/reciever unit, you can likely have "both" (I know the Logitech decoder units should have two inputs, and most (modern) recievers have at least two digital inputs)

but if the PC is going anyways, I do see your point (to a degree, one issue is that the PC can decode things on its own to "help" you (
wink.gif
), which may or may not be desirable (depends on what the reciever/decoder is able to do by itself))

I would still suggest the mini-ATX approach with a PCI card, something like the Diamond XtremeSound 7.1 or Turtle Beach Montego

you may be able to accomplish this with an ITX box as well, boards like this:
Newegg.com - JetWay JNC92-330-LF INTEL Atom 330 Dual Core CPU (45nm, FSB 533MHz, 1.6 GHz, 1 MB L2) Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo

offer a single PCI slot, so if you picked the right case, you should be set to go there as well

please do at least consider an ATX derivative, between case and mainboard for this ITX system you're looking at >$350, an ATX system will run you about $200 (for mainboard and case), and you'll be quite a bit faster and more expandable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back