Small USB DAC for Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sep 29, 2010 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

arondee

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

It's my first post here but I've been looking at posts and searching different headphones on this forum for several months. I'm looking for some help picking a DAC for my new pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. I'm a programmer so I sit in front of a computer all day and typically listen to my headphones through the headphone out on my laptop. I'd like to get the full quality digital sound out through USB instead of relying on the laptop to convert the music to analog for me. If possible I'd also like to find something that's not amplified and will have RCA outs so that I can connect it to an external amplifier for use at home with my outside bar speakers.

From what I understand I don't really need an amp/dac with the ATH-M50's because they are easy to drive. Is there a small usb DAC out there that doesn't amplify anything that costs less than $100? Preferably less than $50? I know about the FiiO E7 and the NuForce Products but they are a little more than I want to spend and they are amplified so I don't know if they will play nice as input to an external amp. I also found some simple products like this MUSE HIFI and even cheaper options like this Syba SD-CM-UAUD, does anyone know how they sound? I would think that if a decent USB DAC/AMP like the FiiO E7 could be put out for $100 than a decent USB DAC without the amp should be cheaper but I'm having trouble finding something. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Hello all,

It's my first post here but I've been looking at posts and searching different headphones on this forum for several months. I'm looking for some help picking a DAC for my new pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. I'm a programmer so I sit in front of a computer all day and typically listen to my headphones through the headphone out on my laptop. I'd like to get the full quality digital sound out through USB instead of relying on the laptop to convert the music to analog for me. If possible I'd also like to find something that's not amplified and will have RCA outs so that I can connect it to an external amplifier for use at home with my outside bar speakers.

From what I understand I don't really need an amp/dac with the ATH-M50's because they are easy to drive. Is there a small usb DAC out there that doesn't amplify anything that costs less than $100? Preferably less than $50? I know about the FiiO E7 and the NuForce Products but they are a little more than I want to spend and they are amplified so I don't know if they will play nice as input to an external amp. I also found some simple products like this MUSE HIFI and even cheaper options like this Syba SD-CM-UAUD, does anyone know how they sound? I would think that if a decent USB DAC/AMP like the FiiO E7 could be put out for $100 than a decent USB DAC without the amp should be cheaper but I'm having trouble finding something. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Not in your price range but I recommend the PICO DAC (dac only) Small, portable, and  takes care of the(USB) transport and DAC functions.  There's cheaper stuff out there but not better.  Don't skimp on this stage.

USG

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Great thanks for the recommendation. I looked at some of the HeadAmp stuff before but I hadn't noticed that they sold a DAC without amp. It's more than I want to spend but I'll take a look and see if I can find something used. Are there any other less expensive options that provide good sound quality?

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Great thanks for the recommendation. I looked at some of the HeadAmp stuff before but I hadn't noticed that they sold a DAC without amp. It's more than I want to spend but I'll take a look and see if I can find something used. Are there any other less expensive options that provide good sound quality?

I don't think so.  I'ts very good and it's very small.

If I was traveling more, I'd get the DAC/Amp and be done with it.  Same size case as the DAC and sounds really good.

Here's a pic next to my wrist watch, from a meet a few years ago....

from the front

and side... a real nice piece of kit.  Powers 650s or 880s with no problem.  I bought the DAC only, if I had it to do again I'd get the combo.

USG

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Nice pics! That thing is tiny. This is probably a dumb question, but If I got the amp/dac combo would I be able to turn off amplification so that I could feed the output into an external amp? I use my laptop to play music on my outdoor bar and grill which has RCA and 3.5mm inputs on it. Here's what I'm talking about. The little white panel is the input.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Nice pics! That thing is tiny. This is probably a dumb question, but If I got the amp/dac combo would I be able to turn off amplification so that I could feed the output into an external amp? I use my laptop to play music on my outdoor bar and grill which has RCA and 3.5mm inputs on it. Here's what I'm talking about. The little white panel is the input.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use the dac by itself, but a lot of guys used the output from the dac/amp as a preamp, feeding a larger amp.....

Nice bar and grill, btw.... 
beyersmile.png

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back