Small strain reliefs?
Jun 16, 2005 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MN Ham Phones

100+ Head-Fier
What do you all use for passing small wires/cables thru a panel?

An example being the low voltage end of a power supply brick that must pass into a chassis rather than terminate into a plug. I am sick and tired of using RatShack rubber doughnut grommets for this application.

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 3
Since it seems like I live in farm country, there's a farm supply store around the corner from me. It carries an amazingly complete supply of rubber grommets from darned near microscopic to several inches in diameter. I just pick the one that matches. I'm sure that Home Depot or Lowes has something similar. That keeps the enclosure edges from cutting the cable. For strain relief, a bit of slack in the cable and a couple of zip ties to increase its diameter at the grommet do the trick.

-Drew

Jun 17, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 3
I have yet to use something like this, but our local electronic store sells water proof cable passthroughs, Insert thingy, pass cable through and turn to make tight.

The other option for strain relief which I saw in a wooden amp case a while ago is that the psu cable simply ran into the back of the amp, and was stapled to the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back