Small speakers to pair with ifi zen dac and can combo for PC?
Dec 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

adityadubey

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I recently got a ifi zen dac and amp stack, which I've connected to my new PC build, and really love the sound through the headphones. However, I would also like to have some form of open sound from my PC. I don't have a ton of desk space, but would love to get either a small single speaker or two really small ones (e.g., the Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12) for occassional non-headphone listening. Would love to hear any suggestions or what your own set up is.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 11
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 11
I have a Zen DAC connected to the computer in my home office. These are pretty budget friendly options, but I played it through Edifier 1700s for about a year, and then more recently I have been playing it through a pair of Klipsch R-41PMs. I thought both were pretty great. Sound quality was more than good enough for me in a home office setting. I have a little Monoprice subwoofer hooked up with it as well. Nothing serious but very enjoyable while I'm working.

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 11
I use venerable Paradigm Atom V3's. Had them re-foamed and re-coned at an authorized Paradigm service outlet. They perform as described in Stereophile when they reviewed them way back when. It is after reading that old review that I settled for those. They're all over the place so easy to find. Paid $50 prior to repair, total investment a whooping $190 and well worth the money. But they could be a little large-ish for some. I don't invest in fancy speakers since 90% of my music I listen to with headphones.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 11
I used Klipsch R-51PM's as desktop monitors for a while and loved them. The R-41PM's are smaller and cheaper if the R-51's seem too much. I eventually decided the R-51's were better used with my wife's TV, which is also a computer screen when we watch online concerts. We've been watching a lot of online concerts since COVID.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 11
I have a pair of Genelec 8331s. For someone so small it's surprising that they can dig so deep--flat to about 38hz in-room, and very punchy. I don't even feel like needing to pair them with a subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back