small speakers for the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2
Sep 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
From Krmathis: "
The Signature 30.2 is not a power beast. Speaker sensitivity being the most important part. After all its a limitation what you are able to drive with "just" 30 watt."

Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2

I am looking for a pair of speakers for the Signature 30.2.
Suggestions are welcome
I am really a noob when it comes down to speakers - and I know this is mainly a headphone forum, but I might as well try here.
I believe the best thing to do is to start looking for speakers with an integrated amp, but aren't those very expensive?
Since I have an ACI subwoofer, it might be useful to check out the ACI Sapphire or Emerald (a good combination)?

Taken from the RWA forum: "clean 30 watts RMS per channel will certainly power inefficient speakers, but up to a point. You may never want to go louder than what the 30.2 can provide in terms of output, so in this case you'll be all set. Some prefer to listen at moderate levels and not at live concert levels, especially if you are in a smallish room that can't handle too much volume (i.e., the room distorts from all the reflections, standing waves, etc.)."

Taken from Krmathis: "Speakers from these vendors are said to be a nice match for the Red Wine Audio products:
WLM Hauptseite WLM Hauptseite (WLM are even sold through Red Wine Audio.)
Omega Speaker Systems - Welcome Omega Speaker Systems - Welcome "

From Alwayswantmore: "Many of today's audiophile amps are low power -- some as low as 2-3 watts per channel. These amps are being paired with highly effecient speakers -- typically 93 - to nearly 100db.
I don't know how effecient ACIs speaker are, but I can personally recommend Omega 8" Hemp speakers, which run close to 100 db (with 1 watt of power). At least in a small room, the combination of Omega Hemps and 30.2 will play louder than any normal person could stand for more than a few seconds.
Best bet is AudioCircle. Check out the Omega and ACI Circles. Also, there are a few posts on Red Wine's Circle where people talk about which speakers they have paired with 30.2s.
BTW: There is no need to go to a powered speaker. Doing so would bypass the excellent sound quality you already get from the RWA amp."

Taken from Lornecherry: "don't overlook a pair of JM Mini Utopias (not the newer BE model). They run at 92.5 DB efficiency and disappeared completely with cheap 18W Dared 300B. They should be heaven with your 30.2 ...a combination I'd like to hear. Not cheap @ 3.2K used, but great WAF and rivals the big Utopias when paired with a REL subwoofer."

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 28
Aci offers the chance to buy 'used' speakers for a decent discount! More attractive is, that I won't have to pay import duties (customs) on 'used' gear
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 28
As posted in the other thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers from these vendors are said to be a nice match for the Red Wine Audio products:
WLM Hauptseite
Omega Speaker Systems - Welcome

WLM are even sold through Red Wine Audio.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 28
Since my budget is not that big, I have decided to order USED ACI Emerald speakers. The Emeralds will be my first high-end speakers experience, and since headphones are still my main listening medium. I have decided to minimize the budget as low as possible for a decent pair of speakers. I am sure I will like them very much and they will be a good match for the ACI Titan XL sub.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 28
I am sure you can't go wrong with ACI, I've read nothing but great comments about their speakers. I had been thinking about getting a Titan sub as well, but I wound up getting Gallo Reference 3.1's instead, and with the bass amp that you can pair with them, the whole range is complete. I hope you wind up happy with your setup! I am curious to hear what you think.. please post up some impressions once you have it all fully run in.

Cheers.

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 28
Sure, I will try my best to write something about it. This will be my first time experience with a 2.1 speaker setup. I believe it will be a bit difficult to write something about it. Speakers are so much different then headphones. I have the Titan sub for almost 2 months and I haven't been able to test/burn-in them yet
frown.gif
. This is because the slow delivery of Van den Hul 10 meter RCA IC's (holidays etc.).

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my budget is not that big, I have decided to order ACI Emerald speakers.

Sweet!
Make sure to keep us (or at least me) posted when you get them, and know how they match up against the Signature 30.2

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 28
The Aci Emerald XL speakers have arrived. I was able to win some nice Van den Hul the Revelation speaker cables on eBay
smily_headphones1.gif
. Since the speakers are B-Stock (used, but in new condition), I don't know if they have already been burn-in completely. Yesterday, I listened to the speaker rig (without subwoofer). I was really stunned about the accoustic performance! I will try to write about it more some time later.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 28
Interesting!
WIth time I will have to buy a couple of small speakers myself, to be most probably used with the Signature 30.2. So any related experience will become handy

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting!
WIth time I will have to buy a couple of small speakers myself, to be most probably used with the Signature 30.2. So any related experience will become handy

The Aci Emerald XL (B-stock) speakers have not been burnt-in yet (ACI told me the speakers haven't left the office). It needs up to 60 hours burn-in.
I believe it won't be easy to tell much about the speakers (since these are my first high-end speakers), I feel it will be easier to compare them with my headphone "experience" (especially the Akg K1000's). I can tell you now that the Akg K1000's sound more detailled and the soundstage is much better.
I really miss them, but I had to sell them to be able to invest in high-end small speakers. I do not regret the speaker purchase.
Also, there is a problem with my speakers stands (steel foundations)!
The isolation pads (important for speaker vibration) are missing (so I can't mount them yet
frown.gif
). This means, I can't really write a definitive review yet.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 28
The Aci Emerald XL speakers are currently not able to generate good sonics for Bob Marley Live in Concert music tracks (probably because the recordings are not that good; they play other reggae music very good) compared to the Akg K1000 and Grado Gs1000. I believe it will get better when they are fully burnt-in and when I can mount them on the speaker stands (this doesn't mean I don't like them but I do miss the dynamic crystal-clear sound of the Akg K1000).

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 28
Since I like the speaker setup so much, I have decided to sell my balanced heapdhone rig!
I haven't been able to write a good thread about the speakers yet, they still haven't been burnt-in yet and an important part of the speaker stands is missing. It should arrive in a couple of weeks.
I like speakers very much because they provide a lot of freedom! You don't have to be linked/wired to amp which means you can move around freely.
In the past I used to watch (LISTEN) a movie with a friend through my 2x Akg K1000's. Now I can invite more friends, because everybody can hear the cinema sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Disadvantage is that they don't sound as detailled as headphones.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 28
The bass is really awesome of the Emerald XL speakers! Unfortunately, I can only listen to the sub in mono because I am still missing a second 10 Van den Hul IC cable
frown.gif

The RWA Sig is a stereo amplifier, it doesn't have a subwoofer output so most likely while everything above 20 Hz sound will be outputted by the Emerald speakers, while everything below 20 HZ will be heard through the sub.

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 28
Comments/suggestions on the subwoofer and Signature 30.2 stereo amplifier are welcome...

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 28
From AudioCircle: "Everything down to the Emeralds lower bass limit (@60hz) will be produced by them.
Most of the bass below (and a little above) the x-o setting on the sub will be produced by the sub."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back