Small speaker amp required
Apr 5, 2007 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
Having just scored a pair of JBL E20s off ebay for $27 I think some form of amplification is called for. I do have an old NIKKO TRM20 but that is a modest 12wpc and I suspect I will really need a 20wpc minimum to drive the JBLs.

However the amp must be shelf mounted and my shelves are pretty small i.e the amp absolutely cannot be more than 10" deep, which is a somewhat limiting factor. And of course since this is a office system I want to do this on the cheap i.e under $100 if at all possible, so I am scouring eBay again.

Does anybody know of any compact amps (of any vintage) that are of the small persuasion and can deliver 20wpc into 8ohms.

Thanks in advance

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Parasound Zamp is half-rack width. I have one driving my Totem Mites. Highly recommended.

It looks very nice but I am really looking for something more modest, it is just for a Creative Zen..............Small Bookshelf Speakers system.

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks very nice but I am really looking for something more modest, it is just for a Creative Zen..............Small Bookshelf Speakers system.

I would think that you could get fine volume from them with your current amp, and probably sound fine too. Iv found that vintage watts are alot more potent than newer stuff. IE: "700 watt" recievers only rated on the back for 500 watts of max draw... Over 100% efficency, its amazing
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think that you could get fine volume from them with your current amp, and probably sound fine too. Iv found that vintage watts are alot more potent than newer stuff. IE: "700 watt" recievers only rated on the back for 500 watts of max draw... Over 100% efficency, its amazing
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for that, I will give it a shot first, I am replacing an old Sony MiniSystem which I use to amplify the Zen, the Sony is rated at 15wpc rms into 4 ohms but the output from my Zen is so low that it is sometimes necessary to have it on full to drive its own (Sony) 4ohm speakers. And the output from my iPod which I connect in sometimes is even lower.

Given that I will be driving 8 ohm speakers I was concerned that 12wpc would not be enough.

But I will give it a shot first.

Cheers

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the popular T-Amp?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

The problem is that the output level from my DAPs is quite low and from the performance tests I have seen the T-Amp can only deliver 5 - 6 watts into 8 ohms before its distortion level curve goes almost vertical, and the distortion is at ~ 10% by the time you hit 10 watts. So it would be a bit of a gamble.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there is a newer version called the Super T Amp.

Didn't know about that one. Searched for it and found this link with measurements for both. Actually I don't like the measurements too much on either one. It seems they would tend to be bright. Between 10kHz and 20 kHz they have 1dB+ increased freq. response driving 8 Ohms loads. Didn't know about this.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 29
wow, pretty clearcut answer.

solution : trends audio ta10.1 t-amp! the hot-rodded version of the super t-amp!
check it: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html

I've been pretty tempted to spring for it myself! ah..maybe a coupla months down the line...

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 29
Apr 7, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 100W version of the T-amp fits your bill. It's no bigger than the T-amp with power supply included. And it's cheap!

Have you got a link for that ?

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back