small/sealed/portable can...suggestions?
Mar 27, 2006 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gravitas

100+ Head-Fier
The wife wants a pair of sealed cans for the gym. She currently uses the KSC-35, which she likes a lot, but now wants something that will block out all that "gym noise". So, they have to be sealed, no amp required, and have small ear pads. I already have the AKG K26P for myself, but would like to get her something different...mostly so I can have a listen at a new pair.
icon10.gif

The ear pads can't be any larger than about 2" (53mm), which is the size of the K26Ps. I'm aware of the PX200, but they're already out of the picture since I've read too many negative reviews on them.

Budget is less than $100. Source will be an iPod shuffle.

Oh, and she would like them to be...pretty. ....uh...yeah.

Any suggestions??

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 16
Your earpad size requirement really limits your choices. If you went up to 3" you could get the ATH-FC7, a slim, nice-looking, decent-sealing headphone that is bassy like your K26P but still a different sound. I believe it's available in several colors too - I have the grey, suitable for all occasions.

If you want really pretty, badly enough to exceed both your diameter budget and your dollar budget, maybe you want the ATH-ES7.

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the inputs. Now I'm leaning towards another set of the K26Ps....there just doesn't seem to be very many sealed cans with small cups.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 16
FC7's are a little too big and no love from the wife toward the ES5's...probably going to go with the AKG K27i, which are essentially the K26P's with a different color scheme. I'm curious to see how similar they actually sound.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
You're aware that fc7 isn't big at all D;?

Do you happen to know the width of the cups? I know the drivers are 40mm. The wife is super paranoid about this. She has a small head/ears, so doesn't want them to be huge and slide around...plus she thinks it looks nerdy.

The K27i's are 2", which is a perfect size for her.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 16
senhd25sp.jpg

How about the Sennheiser HD 25-SPs? Dunno how big the cups are.

>2" now I look!

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitas
Do you happen to know the width of the cups? I know the drivers are 40mm. The wife is super paranoid about this. She has a small head/ears, so doesn't want them to be huge and slide around...plus she thinks it looks nerdy.

The K27i's are 2", which is a perfect size for her.

No...You got it wrong.
The drivers in the fc7s are 30mm neodynium magnet drivers.
Here's a picture.
Courtesy of BodyOfLight:
dsc000725sj.jpg

The fc7s are connected to an black iPod nano.
The size is almost identical to the k26p/k27i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back