Small questions: Alternative materials for T50RP (and small advice)
Nov 24, 2016 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DatGameh

Head-Fier
Some time next month, I am planning to go to Japan to get myself a T50RP (along with other things, of course).
I plan to take apart these headphones, and begin by adding a suspension headband made out of one of my broken belts.
But when it comes to the stuff inside, I have a few questions to ask:

1. Does rebond foam work well as an alternative?

This foam seems to be quite dense, and I think this should be adequate enough to be used in my headphone. I'm going to use a hot wire foam cutter to cut the foam, and I think that this can allow flexibility in increasing or decreasing the thickness of the foam. But, since it's rebond foam, how greatly will that impact the sound quality compared to the thin, black sound dampening foams? Since these are basically random foams put together, it may absorb more noise in one spot than the other. I'm just wondering if it may cause audio randomness in small places, like a small echo in a corner or something.

2. As long as I give enough breathing space for the vent, there isn't such thing as too much sound dampening foam, is there?

Rebond foam is quite thick, and this can allow me to cut it to any thickness. Maybe even covering the whole earcup! But, I don't know if this may be beneficial though. Too much isn't good either, right?

2. Any form of plasticine will work, right?

I'm not sure if there are multiple types of plasticine or not, but I usually find plasticine for kids, or just some generic, non-branded plasticine in where I live. The plasticine doesn't really have that many differences in ingredients, that can affect my headphones, right? Especially if there are oils of some sort...

3. Why do some people made dimples in their plasticine?

I don't really see the benefit of doing it. Its like comparing a solid tube to a hollow tube. They do pretty much just as well as each other when it comes to being pressed, but at the end, the hollow one always collapses first. What I mean by this is that these dimples look like weak points, where the energy is basically stuck/the vibrations aren't absorbed efficiently.

4. Are Shure HPAEC1840 Earpads work fine, right?

I never owned decent headphones with replacable earpads, so I'm quite confused as to why many people are fighting over the kinds of earpads. I heard from Z (Z Reviews) that thin pads are best used, since the drivers work best when the ears are close to the driver. I also heard that the earpads can also affect the sound quality in ways I am not familiar with. After some research, I found the Shure HPAEC1840 to be good pads, because of its comfort and softness. But, how much will it affect the sound quality? Could it dampen the treble or something?

5. What are good alternatives to the V-Moda cables?

Japan doesn't sell V-Moda products, so I can't find the cables. Are there any not-expensive angled cables that work, or will anything I find work just as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back