Small quesion about reversed HD414 pad mod on Grados.
Sep 9, 2006 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

aliquis

100+ Head-Fier
I can't find my carpet knife and no shop near me had real razor blades so I sharpened a knife and get going instead.

I took a 5 SEK which is 27mm in diameter instead of 24.5mm as the quarter and cut the hole.

But I have a question, if I want to reverse them shall I make the hole larger then? Or how am I supposed to get them on? Just stretch it a lot?

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 23
Sep 9, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 23
Yeah; that's what mine look like too! For my ear size that's perfect; I can get up to ten hours listening with virtually no discomfort.

Good comfortable pads!

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 23
Just installed mine.
What a relief, damn bowls, they really wanted us to suffer when designed them.
mad.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Just installed mine.
mad.gif

My new MS2i should be here by the end of the week, and of course they will have the bowls on them. I may just take them off and get used to hearing them with the 414s only cause break-in is gonna be rough enough without being uncomfortable as well since I prefer to monitor what the cans hear and are doing, and thereby suffer through the entire process with them! After they've settled-in a bit I will undoubtedly put them back on for a realistic "see what they sound like for a reasonable ammount of time" test. But boy, if they don't perform; the screamin' yellow zonkers will be back on in no time!

Seriously; I will give other pad choices their chances, including flats and reversed bowls, but these 414s are gonna be hard to abandon if performance isn't a marked improvement!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 23
I suspect that my ears are small as well. My headband is even adjusted to just about as small as it will go! But, my ears just snuggle right on into those reversed 414s and have really found themselves a home!
smily_headphones1.gif

Perfection!

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 23
i have the 414 pads on mine the normal way, like this (the picture isn't too detailed):

sr60-414.png

i think they're pretty comforable and sound good, except they might start hurting after an hour or two a bit...how do they compare to modded and non-modded reverse pads?

also i can't put them on and keep them to stay. i mean, you just put them on upside down right?

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Just installed mine.
mad.gif

Feel free to give them to me
wink.gif

I didn't find the comfies annoying at all, aren't the bowls made of the same material? They presses a lot more on your ears? What about flats, they aren't made by grado?

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Reversed bowls imo are good for mazochists only. May be my ears are too small, but I couldn't stand them for more than 5 minutes.

Yeah, they doesn't fit my ears that good either. But I don't know which combo is the better one. I have a hard time deciding how far back I shall put them, sort of (on my ears that is.)

Ah, you said bowls ;/

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip
i have the 414 pads on mine the normal way, like this (the picture isn't too detailed):

sr60-414.png

i think they're pretty comforable and sound good, except they might start hurting after an hour or two a bit...how do they compare to modded and non-modded reverse pads?

also i can't put them on and keep them to stay. i mean, you just put them on upside down right?

No, I made a hole where yours haven't got one and then you got some kind of very "flat" pads with a hole in them if you put them on.

Then you rotate them 180 degrees and put the new hole you cut over the speakers and let the old hole point out towards your ears and they will get that "raised" look instead.

I haven't listened to them with the flat look (normal but with hole.)

Regarding sound I think the comfies was a little bit harsh, when I put on the non-modded HD414 I thought it reduced the impact/treble quite a bit, with hole and reversed they are quite harsh again, I guess they would be even more "evil" if you used them normal with hole in them?
(After using the phones for a while it feels like your ear drums are bent in and that you have cleaned the ear tunnel, which is scary, I would have prefered if they was a little more gentle
wink.gif
)

Can someone with better hearing abilitys comment on the various versions? The coolest would be if the guy who measured up the HD595 could do it with the MS1 and various pads aswell, but I guess he aren't to intrested in doing that =P

What I did:

1) Get some magazines, a sharp knife, and a coin or something else which in my case was 27mm in diameter, others 24, original holes is larger so that is probably ok aswell.
2) Put them with the ear side/flat side against the magazine.
3) Put the coin in the hole which are already made.
4) Cut along the coin.
5) Put them on your phones but with the new hole against the speakers and let the precut hole be against your ears.

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
unmodded is more comfortable

Agree, but I would say that comfies are even more comfortable than HD414 to me, or atleast as comfortable, althought they make your ears hotter.

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #15 of 23
We all must have ears sized and shaped just a little bit differently!

Seriously! The only thing consistant about 414 comfort is its' inconsistency!

No two of us seem to be the same!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back