small portable headphone amps and other stuff
Jan 15, 2002 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in the market for one for on the go portable use. So what are the durable little audio canons out there? (power source important - consumer battery preferably, 9V or AA?)
And what's this JMT CHA-47 I keep hearing about?

I still haven't decided which headphones to get. I want to try those new Philips cans and them Etymotics everyone swears are cooler than kewl. (I have Sennheiser MX500 and have tried tons of Sony models, but earbuds don't float my boat for enjoyment, yet anyway)
I'm on a search for easy to drive closed headphones within a reasonable price.

As for pcdp, I'm thinking Sony D-EJ925 (mainly for uncompressed antiskip). The Panasonic 780 seems nice, does it have no-loss skip protection, line out, sound good?

As for active portable, I like the Sony CD Walkman D-E220 using Sennheiser MX500. This cheapo player however doesn't have a line out and sounds like crap with the ESP on. Any better active use pcdp out there?

Jan 15, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Do the other high end Sony models not also offer uncompressed antiskip? (777, EJ01, etc)

Jan 15, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah i'm after a not too expensive portable headphone amp too...I have the Sony DE220 and it doesn't sound bad!

Any recommendations...my budget isn't very much as i'm a student...

Jan 16, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi, Howard. Anyone who wants a great little portable amp that looks and sounds wonderful should contact fellow Head-Fier/Moderator JMT through the Private messaging feature of this site. He'll get back to you with all the particulars and can tweak it so it drives your headphones optimally. Be patient, as he may be a bit backed up with orders......because people who get his home-built amps keep raving about them.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I want to try those new Philips cans and them Etymotics everyone swears are cooler than kewl.

If you are on a budget, I must warn you that it takes a rather good source and amp to make the most of the Etymotics. With the line out of my Panasonic 570 and JMT built CMOY amp, the ER-6's sound distant and cold. I am certain I have gotten a good seal, and the bass with the amp was most impressive, but their neutrality is very revealing of merely good sources. I think you may need to have a great source and amp to really make the most of the Ety's, which won't be possible on a tight budget.

cajunchrist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back