Small Portable Amp
Nov 24, 2002 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JVOBIKER

Head-Fier
I just ordered my Sony MDR-V6's for my iPod and I am wondering now if I should buy an amp. I was thinking about the Super-Mini V3 because I want something that is portable but I don't know if it will actually improve the sound quality. Do you think it is worth $100 bucks or should I just skip it. I was thinking of also getting a JMT Meta42 amp because they are pretty small too but it seems like it takes a while and I don't want to spend that much on it. Any suggestions?

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 7
The iPod is more than capable of driving the V6s. Since the iPod does not have a line-out, the benefits in using an amp are not that great. I would wait to hear the V6s first. If you find something lacking, then look for possible solutions. Hope this helps.

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 7
So amps ARE supposed to be connected through the line-out...

*slaps forehead*

I know so precious little.

Nov 27, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 7
I don't have V6s, but I do use an iPod with CD3000s frequently. As Joe says, the iPod has plenty of power to drive your 'phones, but the SuperMini contributes far more than one might think.

I use an iGlove case (without belt clip) with my 20GB model and velcro to attach the SuperMini directly to it. The combination fits easily into my shirt pocket making for an exceptionally versatile and potent little system.

Also, if you plan to add (or already have) a PCDP, you will likely find an amp a near necessity. IMO, at a hundred bucks, the SuperMini is a steal--so much so that I've ordered a spare.

Spad

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 7
I would have to agree with Spad and the benefits of Fixups amp. It is worth it IMO. I am not an expert like a lot of people on here; however, I can tell a noticable difference in punch and it bumps the sound stage up a notch or better. I like it.

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 7
The iPod sounds great with a JMT portable META. I just tried the combo last weekend. Most of the time I just use the Ety's right out of the iPod. But add the META and the sound gets much fuller and richer. Never heard the Sony's or the Fix-up amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back