small Pelican case for iPod?
Aug 3, 2004 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm wondering-- is there anyone out there who has used one of the smaller Pelican cases (ex. the 1120 or 1150) for stuff like an iPod and accessories? I have a Timbuk2 iPod case, but if I want something that provides alot more protection for both my iPod and its adaptors, headphones, etc. would one of these be a good idea, or would it be overkill? The smaller cases are around $25-30...

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 16
A Pelican case would certainly protect the iPod and is associated equipment. However, living with one might be a different issue. I've got a number for various pieces of equipment and they can be awkward to handle under less than ideal circumstances.

Illiad

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 16
I'm wondering how much I would even use it, since I would have the iPod on me most of the time, and it wouldn't need THAT much protection when not in use (it's not like I'm hard on my equipment)...

They might be hard to get in and out of quickly, since they're so heavy-duty.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 16
I'd guess that if you already have your iPod along with you the Pelican case would simply get in the way. I hadn't thought of using the Pelican case for my own iPod, and instead went with iPod Armor which I hope will arrive in a couple of days. It looks like it will provide the protection the iPod needs, but without the inconveniences associated with the size of the Pelican case. As to the Pelican case latches, they aren't too much of a problem and you'd get used to them over time. However, with the case closed, you wouldn't be able to listen to the iPod.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 16
yeah, it would have to be more for transporting the ipod and its accessories for trips, etc. so they don't get dinged up. Probably overkill for me.

I think I'll end up getting one of the crumpler camera bags so I can fit a few other things in with the ipod...

Aug 3, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 16
yeah, but those Pelican cases are just badass! Too bad my uses don't justify something that bulletproof. The Crumpler stuff is nice though, and they've got a few that are between a small messenger bag size and a digital camera bag size.. And most of the stuff I'm looking at is right around $30 with shipping figured in.

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 16
The Pelican case would be great if you were shipping the Ipod or putting it in your luggage instead of carrying it with you. Otherwise it's likely to just get in the way.

I have several flashlights that use the small lithium batteries and recently bought a Pelican case designed specifically for carrying the batteries. I didn't really need it, but, as you say, those cases are badass, and it was cheap enough that I could provide my batteries with some of the best protection on the planet.

Aug 4, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 16
I found some of the smaller Pelican cases (1120 and 1150) for $18 & $21, respectively. At that price, even if its overkill, should I go for one of them?

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 16
Well, I've got a spare $70, so I'm wondering if I should grab a few different things (Pelican case, Millennium Season One on dvd, etc.) or get a new messenger/laptop bag. So it's tough, since I would get alot of use out of the bag, but would also like the other cool stuff too...
3000smile.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I found some of the smaller Pelican cases (1120 and 1150) for $18 & $21, respectively.

Is that for the ones with the Pick 'N' Pluck foam? If so, those are excellent prices... about 10% cheaper than the best prices I've found.

Aug 4, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 16
Yep, those are the prices with foam, so with shipping figured in (around $6) they'd be about $24-27...

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 16
Hey, just a suggestion, but I used to work for REI, the camping store. They sell a handful of the smaller pelican cases. Nothing beats being able to go into a store and play with the items you are curious about. Go check it out if you have one around you. You can look up locations at rei.com! I have the 1020 microcase (I think it was about $18) and it works great for my canon digital elph with extra CF cards and charger. Hope this helps.

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 16
I got a bunch of the bigger pelicans...they are definitely great....but I would never choose to carry around even a small one for DAP protection. Too heavy and clunky.

Ideally, a hard "shell" that is half "skin" and half case would be a great compromise. Then you could literally sit on it in your back pocket and it would shield the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back